PGA Championship

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Aug 14, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Dustin Johnson finds himself in the final pairing of a major again.

This time, he's behind by a few shots of the leader.

I kinda hope he wins it to make up for that monumental collapse at the US Open.

Also like Furyk and of course Bubba Watson (huge Saints fan).

Rory McIlroy is probably the only foreigner I would be happy winning it.

If Watney comes back to the field (up by 3 currently), then this will be some kind of finish with possibly 8-10 players in contention coming down the stretch.

2. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Johnson got fVcked IMO

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Not really. I had the final round taped. After Johnson hit his tee shot on 18, CBS did some of their techno magic and showed the line of the ball from tee to landing spot. Nance even noted that the ball was in one of the thousand bunkers on the course.
    The rules officials anticipated such a problem and made a point of emphasizing the local rules that all bunkers will be played by bunker rules, i.e., no grounding. Johnson screwed up and he realizes it.

4. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

There was clearly no outline of the "bunker" . If someone kicked a bunch of sand out of the bunker and onto to ground would that be a bunker too?

Should he of asked for ruling. Probably. But I didn't see anyone else even come close to saying "that might be a bunker".

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

6. SabanFan

You have no idea what you're talking about. Quit digging.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I agreed with you until I found out they posted notice about this at the beginning of the tourney. It's a tough ruling but he should have known the rules. Can you imagine how big a story this would have been had he made that putt on 18. Thank God he missed

8. SabanFan

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

By his own admission, Johnson says he did not bother to read the supplemental rules sheet handed to the players that defined the ruling in question. End of story.

To answer Rex's question, yes there was a rules official watching DJ play, and yes, he could have asked the official for a ruling, whereupon he would have learned definitively that his ball was in a bunker. By rule, the official can not walk up and volunteer information; he can only answer questions.

10. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Don't you think a professional player and/or the hundred people standing around would know if someone was in a freaking bunker or not....