PGA Championship

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Aug 14, 2010.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You are one hard headed little MFer.

It was a bunker. There's no question here.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Here's a challenge for you mc? Do you think you could translate your excellent analysis into simple, easy to understand terms that Rex could understand? :rofl:

1 person likes this.
  3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Learn how to read rules:

4. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

You take one supplemental rules sheet but don't bother question the rule book. I posted above.

He also stated that he knows the rules of golf and when he is in a bunker or hazard. Whatley said the same thing.

The whole incident is unfortunate and he took it very well. But I still think the champion was not decided.

5. COTiger

If he would have read the supplemental rules sheet, he would have seen the following: It was right there in black and white: "All areas of the course that were designed and built as sand bunkers will be played as bunkers (hazards), whether or not they have been raked. This will mean that many bunkers positioned outside of the ropes, as well as some areas of bunkers inside the ropes, close to the rope line, will likely include numerous footprints, heel prints and tire tracks during the play of the Championship. Such irregularities of surface are a part of the game and no free relief will be available from these conditions."

In addition to not reading the supplemental rules sheet, he had a walking PGA official in his group. If there was any element of doubt in his mind he could have consulted the official. He didn't.

It's unfortunate that it ended the way it did but he has no one to blame but himself.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

You're overlooking the fact that, based on the pic you posted earlier, the bunker may not look "prepared", "removed" or "replaced." However, that's after 4 (probably more, considering fans were probably on the course for the practice rounds) days of fans trampling through it. The supp sheet was quite clear in warning the players that some bunkers could be affected by the galleries.

Cowherd actually made an intelligent comparison this morning. Charley Manuel and Joe Torre don't need an umpire to go over the rules before every game, yet they meet before every game to go over "ground rules." Every golf course, like every baseball stadium, has unique features that require special rules, whether its bunkers in places where fans can step in them, or a little hill in centerfield that's in play. The local rules change from week to week, but they are still rules that the player must be aware of, and follow.

7. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I get all of that. I still don't see a defined area of a bunker. Where did it start and where did it end. Was all of that in the bunker? Did some sand get kicked out of the bunker? etc. etc.

Was every spec of sand on the course now marked a bunker?

And if the officials deemed it to be a bunker they should have atleast gave the courtesy of moving the people OUT of the bunker. And yes they could have done that.

I think more than just Dustin are at fault here but he took all the heat.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

All legit questions that the official on-site could have answered for DJ had he asked. He didn't ask, because he wasn't aware of the local rule that bunkers in the gallery areas were subject to normal rules of play. His fault.

To be fair to your POV, allowing spectators to stand in the bunker while he was actually playing his shot is extremely unusual, and probably should not have been allowed. But I don't know if I can agree that contributed to DJ's confusion. To DJ, there was no confusion; it "never occurred" to him to question whether he was in a bunker.

9. COTiger

I'm not a fan of Pete Dye golf courses and I damn sure am not a fan of Herb Kohler's imitation of a Scottish links course in Wisconsin. I think when they go back there for the PGA in 4 or 5years you will see bunkers as you typically see on other courses that host PGA Tour events and everything else should be deemed a waste area where you can ground your club, remove loose impediments, take practice swings etc.

ETA: Here's a link to an excellent article on ESPN where the rules official in Johnson's group gives a detailed explanation of what happened.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/golf/news/story?id=5468051

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

This. Most courses have local rules that go against the rule book.