PGA Championship

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Aug 14, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Supposedly Kohler himself declared that the bunker was indeed a "waste bunker" and therefore should not have been treated like a regular bunker. And of course that means the 2 shot penalty should never have been assessed.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Nope. The local rules sheet was quite clear that ALL bunkers would be played the same.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I watched the final 9 holes, and I thought it was the most entertaining golf tournament I've seen in several years. Great shots from the young guns! Dustin Johnson driving the ball 370 yds, there must have been another equipment advance. Rory McIlroy hit some of the best recovery and bunker shots I have seen in one round, he was great out of the long grass and sand.

They used to say golfers peaked in their 30's and I thought sure Tiger would better Jack's mark of 18 majors. Watching Sunday, I am not so sure. Maybe golfers now peak in their 20's (except Tom Watson who was in it at last years British Open at 60). They certainly get better coaching earlier.

Anyhow, I enjoyed it.

4. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

I also think DJ was phucked at the PGA.

If that is a bunker, then why the hell were people allowed to freaking walk/stand in it? I don't recall Augusta letting the patrons stand in their bunkers.

I feel bad for DJ. That was a pu$$y call by the PGA officials.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I agree, it was the most riveting back 9 on Sunday at a major in a long time (actually probably since Whistling Straights in 2004, what is up with the place for the heroics?).

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i thought it is the design of the course. Before any of the final round i kept thinking how awesome this course is (2nd to st andrews it seemed as I was watching it) because of the crazy cliffs and hazards. well, until the bunker fiasco.

i was pissed at the ruling initially but saw dj had admitted he never read the supplemental rules even though they were explained prior and also posted everywhere around the course.

I suppose this is exactly what you hire a professional caddy for. specifically for this reason. Because golf is so full of inane rules. And this already happened before on this course so there was precedent.

live and learn i suppose. still seemed to not be the spirit of the rule. put a damn rake in every place you deem a bunker. or rope the mf off.

7. SabanFan

He should have paid attention to the local rule sheet. There are 1200 bunkers on that course and no one else srewed up. I'd fire the caddy, though.

By the way, Le Vieux Chenes in Youngsville is shaping up. We need to play. When's Izzy back in town?

8. SabanFan

Maybe, if you want to be a major winner, you shouldn't hit your drive on the 72nd hole 2 fairways over to the right.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

then tiger would have none.

1 person likes this.
  10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

When they go back in 4 or 5 years for the PGA Championship rounds will probably take 6+ hours because you can bet if there is any doubt in a players mind they are going to be calling for a ruling from a PGA offical. The PGA might want to think about assigning one to each group.