Phelps Family Protests - Sickening

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUGradin99, Mar 10, 2006.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

but like i said, this isnt the case. people have been killing constantly over religion for thousands of years. and again, you dont see atheists blowing themselves up on the train. they have no reason to.

i need to express what i mean more clearly.

i believe that going down the road of irrational thought is dangerous, even if you happen by chance to not belong to a sect of religion that is particularly violent at this moment in history. my contention is that if you are religious, it is only by sheer luck that you are not in one of the ones that happen to be killing right now.

and that is true and i accept that i have to be realistic and accept crazies for what they are. this is why i really like bush even though he is a maniac. the vast majority of people are so awful at critical thinking that i have to set the bar low for people. if i expected people to be rational even a little, i would have already lost my mind in frustration. although i come pretty close now anyways.

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

it's been said multiple times.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

for the sake of argument, lets pretend i did say whatever. i am changin my mind and reversing my stance. so you can stop saying it now.

anyways, to further my point:

i hate hearing "god doesnt really want the terrorists to kill". because the only way you can know that is by actually knowing what god wants. and that is incredibly weak logical ground to be standing on when condemning terrorists.

christians are essentially saying "we know what the invisible magic man wants, and it isnt to blow up innocent people". the whole premise is absurd, and in fact the terrorists are making the exact same argument, they think they are the ones who knows what god wants.

so we are left in the absurd position of arguing what god actually wants in order to condemn jihadists. and that is when i want to shoot myself.

4. LSUDeek

heres a good example:

http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?t=10940&highlight=martin+abortion

you are putting words in all of our collective mouths here. nobody in this thread has condemned the jihadists on theological grounds.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

yes, in that thread i do explicilty say twice that oppose killing everyone:

1. "i oppose murder for rational, not religious reasons."

2. "before i sound like pol pot, let me say that i am of course opposed to murdering any innocent person who has the awareness to realize they dont want to be killed."

nice example, i went out my way to say the opposite of what you are claiming.

6. LSUDeek

"i realize abortion is murder, i just don't care".

:confused:

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

yeah i am confused too. what was i thinking contradicting myself like that!

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

It is the case at this time for most Christians.

Agreed.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Hardly "condoning all killing".

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Religion isn't the cause of wars and killings and terrorism. It's just a guise. If there were no religion people would find another reason to kill and fight each other. Most powerful people are just ass#0!es and they want more land and more money and more power.