Phelps Family Protests - Sickening

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUGradin99, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Do you feel the same way about slavery then?

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Religion is just the easiest way to get it down.

As soon as you train people to quit thinking for themselves and accept things because of magic, you need only manipulate a small truth to make them believe it is the wish of god, and suddenly you've got yourself an army of killers.

Sure, people would find a reason to kill, but atleast people would decide for themselves instead of being brainwashed into it. People could then reason their way through decisions and conclude what is right from wrong instead of blindly accepting it, which opens the door for abuse.

3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I am sorry, but I totally disagree. Honest faith respects people. What these people are doing is not respect, it is disrespect. And I certainly don't think God wants this.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i bet you they think god does want this. who is to say who is right?

we should learn to base our worldview on reality, then we wouldnt have these problems.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I don't see your correlation. Spell it out please. I am pretty dumb.

6. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Well you said that "Religion isn't the cause of wars and killings and terrorism. It's just a guise."

And I was just wondering that if you consider that the Crusades were not fought over religion, then you do feel that the Civil War was fought over something other than Slavery. That slavery was just a guise.

I am not trying to call you out or anything about your post just wanted to know your personal opinion.

7. LSUsupaFan

The first three crusades (the ones launched by the Popes) were launched to protect the pilgram trails to Jerusalem and to expel Moslems from eastern Europe.

Moslems had taken over Christian lands and were preventing Christains from entering Jerusalem and practicing their faith elsewhere. They also threatened to extend their empire far into Europe. The wars were fought between Christians and Moslems, but they were truly defensive wars. Christians fealt their faith was threatened.

The later Crusades (the ones launched by Europes Kings) were to grab up land. They used religion as a guise to gain power from an empire that was no longer a threat..

Abolition was no doubt a rallying cry for the north to gain support for the war, but I do not think the south fought to protect slavery. Only about 5-10% of southerners owned slaves. Only about 2% owned more than 5. I don't think 95% of abled bodied men would fight for something that did not affect them.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

It affected them regardless of whether they actually owned slaves or not, because it was about their right to own slaves - something almost all white southerners dreamed of.

9. LSUsupaFan

Try to substantiate that claim. Its non-sense. Southerners fought because their livlihoods were stripped away by the Morril tarriff and their homes were invaded.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

The south believed in slavery - white men that didn't own slaves aspired to. Do you deny this?

The civil war was fought over the state's rights - in particular, the right of states to secede. If the north would have allowed the south to secede, there wouldn't have been a war. Beyond that, it was fought over whether the southern state's had the right to allow legal ownership of a slave.

What exactly are you arguing?

It should also be noted that white southerners used religion to argue that god & religion supported slavery.