Phelps Family Protests - Sickening

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUGradin99, Mar 10, 2006.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

As did the Union. Maryland, Kentucky, and Deleware were all slave states, and in the Union.

I am sure some white men who did not own slaves wanted too. For that matter many freed blacks owned slaves. I can not say that most white men aspired to owning slaves. I do know that my great great grandfather joined the confederate calvary because his home was burned and his twelve acres were sown with salt rendering the land useless for growing crops.

The fact is that slavery was not in any jeopardy. Abolition was a fringe movement prior to the war. The pro-abolitionist were considered to be political extremesits. It was Abe Lincoln who said:

Slavery was not used in the North because it didn't make economic sense. It was alot cheaper to pay some Irish or Italian immigrant a few pennies a day than it was to house and feed the guy and his whole family.

Its not like northers just released all their slaves when slavery fell out of practice. They shipped them south and sold them.

And many used religion to argue against it. The reason slavery fell from practice in Europe was due to Catholic opposition.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

They already have. They protested at a funeral that is in the suburb that is just a couple of miles away from me. The bikers showed up also. To their credit, the news stations here (at least not the two I watched) did not give the warped sicko's air time, but instead showed the "counter-protest" by the bikers.

The Lege in Oklahoma just passed a bill a week or so ago that make it illegal to protest at a funeral within a certain amount of distance of the event for something like two hours before and an hour after the funeral. I can't remember the specifics or the penalties, but I didn't think the penalties were strict enough. But the Lege acted immediately, passed it with emergency clause so it took effect immediately after the Gov signed it, and he signed it that day. There was going to be another funeral for a soldier killed in Iraq just a couple of days after that and they all wanted it to be law at that time.

The disgusting excuses for human material did not protest the funeral that was after the law was passed.