Phil Steele's College Football 2004: IN STORES NOW!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Jun 15, 2004.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Went to the bookstore today to check out the mags, and let out a little chuckle when I saw this: Phil Steele is back, and you folks are going to like what he has to say once again.

I'll leave it to others to go into detail about who he is and why LSU fans loved him in 2003 so I can get to the predictions:

Nationally, he has LSU ranked #3. Talks of how he had LSU finishing undefeated in 2003 in 3 of his 8 computer models, and how he has them running the table in 4 of 8 this year. Mentions tough games on the road, of course, but adds that he thinks this team BETTER overall from a talent standpoint.

(FYI: He has the Troy-boys ranked #2--and going undefeated in all 8 models---due to their pu**y-a*s schedule. :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

Interestingly, has Oklahoma a solid #1, making the bold statement that, in all his years of analyzing and handicapping college football, this might be the BEST team he's ever seen.

Wow.)

Other interesting notes: His projected starters at WR for LSU are Skyler Green (backed by Early Doucet) and Xavier Carter (backed by Amp Lee).

Sorry, almost forgot this one other projected starter prediction you might find interesting: JaMarcus Russell as the #1 QB. :shock:

Also, for his always-anticipated National Champ darkhorses, the top 5 (in order):

1. West Virginia
    2. Cal (interesting!)
    3. Missouri
    4. Ohio State (darkhorse b/c of their massive turnover of starters)
    5. Virginia

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I think is darkhorses are very dark this year. When he lists starting WR's who are the 3 starters...you only list one with 2 backups....

Oklahoma best team ever? not so fast there, Phillip.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Thats starters skyler green and xavier carter backed up by Doucet and amp lee

4. tirk

yeah that seems wrong. No Bowe and XC ahead of Doucet?

5. tigerm

tigerm Founding Member

A good mag

I've gotten Steele's magazine the past two years and have found it to be very good - especially since the Tigers were one of his "darkhorse" candidates for NC last year. I guess Nick made him look very smart! :champs:

6. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

OU's team is actually going to top last years team which was the best of all time.

7. lsu92

lsu92 Founding Member

What about D Bowe? The other thing that looks strange is that our player is named Amp Hill, not Amp Lee. Amp Lee played for Fla. St. some time ago.

8. tirk

lol didnt even notice.

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's too early to tell whether Doucet or Xavier will be the top freshman WR but both have tremendous potential. However I think far too many people overlook the fact that we have Dwayne Bowe, Craig Davis and Amp Hill who were all big time recruits now with a year in the system. Add to that that both Carey and Addai will get PT at WR and any freshman will have to be super good and pick up the system really fast to make the two deep much less start. Both Doucet and Xavier have the big time potential to do it but I wouldn't pencil them in just yet. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

10. tigerfanintampa

tigerfanintampa Founding Member

Amp Hill still has more rehabbing to do on his knee. Don't be surprised if he isn't ready by the time fall practice starts.