Phil Steele's College Football 2004: IN STORES NOW!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Jun 15, 2004.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Anybody who watched the spring football game likely isn't projecting a true freshman ahead of Bowe right now. Bowe looked the the real thing to me. I expect him to start.

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

That was my bad, not Phil's.

Amp Lee...lol, whatever happened to him?

3. lsu92

lsu92 Founding Member

I think many overlook the fact that Davis and Bowe played LOTS of plays last season. They did not catch many balls b/c Clayton, Henderson, and Green were options 1,2,3. Just being on the field for live action makes a big difference and it will show this fall. I do not believe we are as inexperienced as some think.

4. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Phil Steele also picks Bama to finish #2 in the West behind LSU. Talk about a darkhorse! Geez, why not climb waaaayyyyyyy out on the proverbial limb.

I know, I know...."Phil picked LSU as his darkhorse in '03." So did a couple of others like CFW - it wasn't THAT big of a reach and it doesn't mean he's right all the time. C'mon, how much cred does the guy display when he picks Bama to finish ahead of either Ole Miss or Auburn at the #2 spot? He's been dippin' in the corn agin'.

In all seriousness, Bama is a 5 win team- AT BEST - in '04 and I'm guessing worse. Their recruiting class was a complete bust at the worst possible time. They're thin at nearly every position, including the skill positions, and that assumes that all remain 100% healthy. Even if you subscribe to the "Shula = Miracle Worker" theory, Bama just won't be able to hang with upper tier SEC teams for four whole quarters. The sanctions are taking their toll (and I don't wish it on any member institution - it's a bad deal!)

With all due respect to PS, it ain't gonna happen.

5. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

I have to agree with you Cadillac, bama is way to thin on the lines. They will have so much trouble protecting the Croyle kid, who we absolutely killed last year. Shula is mediocre at best he always has the "brook trout" look. Everybody knew that the sanctions would eventually get to them and now is the time you start to see the consequences. No matter what anybody says or prints it will again come down to the LSU/Auburn matchup.

CA what do the auburn fans think of Borges as the OC?

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

phil steele is a big 10 handicapper...well thats where he makes his money....

bama has no shot. 5 wins is what i think also.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've got to agree on the Bama thing. This will not be their year. They could actually finish 6th in the West, but I don't really think they will let that happen. State is also really weak this year. Bama just doesn't have any depth at all.

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Well, I don't speak for all (that's for certain), but overall I'd say most AU fans are cautiously optimistic. It's sorta an optimism based on, "how could it be worse than Nall ball?" An average coach can make good talent look very average, and that has been the knock on CTT's offenses to date. Expectations are much more reasonable this season because of the schedule and many believe CTT's ability to salvage Nall as the O-line coach will pay dividends. CHN wasn't much of an OC, but he's a decent OL coach and a decent man who recruits well.

The jury's still out on Borge's "Gulf Coast Offense" version of the WCO. On the plus side, most believe Borges will incorporate more two-back sets that are capable of springing Caddy & Brown into open space where they are harder to defend and can do more damage. The other plus is that the ball will be out of Campbell's hands (timing) much quicker in the new scheme, thus removing pressure from the Achilles heal of the offense - the O-Line. Borges has retained the existing "language" terminology from Petrino's offensive scheme in an effort to preserve as much continuity with the returning players as possible.

On the downside, most question how much of the WCO scheme that Borges will be able to implement in the first season - let alone in time for the key opponents like LSU. When you consider that it's the third offensive system and the fourth OC in four seasons, well, let's just say the more pragmatic among us consider it to be a real challenge from an offensive standpoint.

The great thing that Borges has going for him is his reputation for developing and preparing QB talent and his ability to make offensive adjustments, bith of which have been all but absent on the Plains the past two seasons. It's anybody's guess whether he'll have a positive impact on JC - hell, that poor kid's head must be spinning by now given all that he's seen. JC has a decent arm, is mobile on designed rollout plays (not scrambles), and has great accuracy/efficiency on short routes which should help him in Borge's scheme. Borges has acknowledged he'll attempt to "best-fit" the scheme to JC's strength. The other thing that Borges has been coy about is the ability of backup Brandon Cox to step into a starting role. This has earned Borges much respect from the crowd that doesn't quite have faith in JC's leadership ability. Cox can get it done - he definitely showed that in the spring game - but he's still raw. If CAB is around longer than one season, Cox will be a solid SEC caliber starter in short order.

I spoke very briefly with Borges following the spring game and he seems like a fine man - good for the SEC. But in the end, like most AU fans, I'll preserve judgement on CAB based on what he can bring to the job at hand. So far, the players seem to be responding to him, and that's always a good sign. CAB has stated he'll attempt to run the ball 60% of the time, but it remains to be seen whether he's just parroting CTT on that issue......

9. crm160

crm160 Founding Member

Thanks

Thanks for the news. I just went to Barnes and Noble and picked me up a copy!!!!!!!!!!!They also have the Athlon Sports preseason mag. :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :champs:

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I think that's the most important part. He can develop and adjust which is critical in today's scope of college football. Whether he can do it in the SEC remains to be seen but so far so good. Its the one thing your homie, Jimbo Fisher does well which has established him as a coordinator.