Phil Steele's Preseason All-SEC Team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Jun 1, 2015.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

No mention of...geez, just pulled a mind blank. #71.

Damn, I was just talking about him Tuesday of last week with a LSU fan who comes into my bar.

FWIW, this is going to be one of the biggest group of tackles in this draft than I can recall (SEC players.) We were counting the other day...I want to say we came up with seven who could go in the first round with Tunsil likely being the first pick.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Wait, you have a membership at the course AND you own a bar? Damnit why do you have to be a gump.

tirk likes this.
  3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Partner in one, not sole owner.

Hey, what's the adage? A drinking town with a football problem? Or is it vice-versa? Remember where I went to school. :D

4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Almost two months to the day from when junior wide receiver Laquon Treadwell suffered a fractured fibula and dislocated ankle in the Auburn game last year, junior offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil suffered the same season-ending injury in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl against TCU.

“I knew it was pretty serious when I was on the ground,” Tunsil recalled. “I got rolled up on when Bo (Wallace) got sacked, and I felt a different pain, and I saw my ankle was out of place. They popped it back into place on the field. I knew it was serious when they told me I had to wait for the swelling to go down, and then I had the surgery two weeks later.”

The hardest part, which he said was walking around in a boot, is over.

Now, he shows up to work every day around 2 p.m., puts in 45 minutes to an hour of rehabilitation, which includes running on a treadmill in a whirlpool, going through the same thing every day.

But he’s made progress. He started walking two weeks ago, and he hopes to start running by June.

“I just have to take it one day at a time and come back slow,” Tunsil said. “I think I’ll be full-go by the fall. I think I’ll get back to 100 percent, sooner or later.”

Treadwell and Tunsil, both top recruits when they came to Ole Miss, have leaned on each other during their respective rehabs, only Treadwell is two months ahead of Tunsil in the process.

“We both broke our fibulas and dislocated our ankles,” Tunsil said. “He’s telling me to work on this and work on that, rehab stuff, and trying to keep our minds right because we have bigger things to focus on.”

Tunsil said he misses being out there with his offensive line unit and the rest of the team, but he continues to find ways to contribute, whether that’s speaking up in the meeting room, or taking some of the younger offensive linemen under his wing.

“They’re coming along pretty well,” Tunsil said. “They need a lot more leadership out there, so I have been talking in the meeting room, telling them what they need to work on.”

Junior offensive lineman Jeremy Liggins, who played quarterback and tight end last year, has stepped into Tunsil’s spot at left tackle this spring, and he has impressed coaches and players alike with his athleticism and toughness.

5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I

#71 for LSU is Jonah Austin, in the Spring game he looked good, and has improved. He too has size, and plays the position well. He too should have a shot with an NFL team. Might be hard to get into a rotation, but spot duty, you never know. He has the NFL size (6'6" 330#). With the LSU OL, we are starting to get into a numbers game, this is great.

titoabad1 likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I hope that the second O-line gets rotated into the game more than in previous years. We lose a ton of starters on the line next year, especially if Pocic goes. We will be needing young guys with some playing time to pick up the slack.

LSUDad and TigerTap like this.
  7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I
    I was hoping Evan Washington would have tried for another year. Pocic will have his shot at OT this year or the next, depends on what Alexander does, if he's able to handle the position. If not Pocic will move out and Alexander will slide inside. Depth is starting to take hold on the OL for LSU, this is long overdue. I like what I saw in the Spring with Clapp and Boutte. KJ looked good at times, along with Austin. Once we get through Fall, things will fall better into place with the incoming.

TigerTap likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What makes you think Pocic will stick around for a senior year?

LSUDad likes this.
  9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Many didn't think Alexander and Hawk would, we'll see.

TigerTap likes this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Phil Steele predicts 2015 playoff, New Year's six bowl matchups
    The preseason football magazines are hitting shelves, and Phil Steele has predicted that Ohio State will repeat as college football's national champion in 2015.

Steele predicts OSU, TCU, Alabama and USC will be the teams that make the College Football Playoff following the 2015 season.

[​IMG]
    (Photo: USA TODAY Sports)
    He has the No. 1-seeded Buckeyes beating USC in the Orange Bowl and predicts No. 2 TCU will defeat third-seeded Alabama in the Cotton Bowl. Steele then has OSU winning the national title against the Horned Frogs.

Ohio State won the inaugural College Football Playoff in 2014, and defeated the Crimson Tide on the way to the title. Steele thinks USC will replace Oregon in representing the Pac-12, and TCU will give the Big 12 the conference's first playoff team.

Steele has Florida State, which was a part of the playoff last season, taking on LSU in the Peach Bowl on New Year's Eve. In the other three "New Year's Six" bowl games, Steele has Notre Dame facing Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl, Michigan State playing Stanford in a traditional Big Ten/Pac-12 Rose Bowl and Georgia facing Baylor in the Sugar Bowl.

Steele predicts quite a drop off for Oregon, which lost in the championship game to the Buckeyes last season. He predicts the Ducks will face Oklahoma in the Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2.

Phil Steele's predictions for New Year's Six bowl games

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF

Championship Game
    No. 1 Ohio State beats No. 2 TCU for the national championship

Semifinals
    No. 1 Ohio State beats No. 4 USC in the Orange Bowl
    No. 2 TCU defeated No. 3 Alabama in the Cotton Bowl

New Year's Six Bowl games

Peach Bowl - Florida State vs. LSU
    Fiesta Bowl - Notre Dame vs. Boise State
    Rose Bowl - Michigan State vs. Stanford
    Sugar Bowl - Georgia vs. Baylor