Pierre Thomas

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 4, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Will he be gone at the end of the season, or will he take a paycut and stay? He obviously won't get paid what he wants because of his injury. He was very vocal at the end of last season about his contract, and to be honest, if it takes him 6 or 7 weeks to heal an ankle sprain, you have to ask the durability question.

What say you Saints fans.

2. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

The Saints will pay him. He'll be back. At least I hope so. He wanted more money because he is still on his rookie contract for a guy who wasn't even drafted. If they don't agree on a new contract he'll be a restricted free agent. The Saints can ask for a 1st rounder from any team that wants to pay him more than their offer. Pending the outcome of the labor situation. Right now it doesn't look like we'll have to worry abut the roster for next season because there won't be one.

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I think he's gone pecan.

What the Saints would like to do is to groom the young Chris Ivory into a workhorse-type back that can catch out of the backfield if he needs to. I just wonder if Ivory has durability issues, too. Too early to tell.

4. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Who knows what salaries are going to be like after this season.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Depends what happens from here on out.

If he does what he did in the post season and gets us a 2nd Super Bowl trophy, then we sign him and overpay if we have to.

If he doesn't factor into our success going forward and we don't make a splash, he's gone.

We'll sign Bush before we sign him.

Ivory can take up the rushing duties.

6. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Isn't he going to be a restricted free agent next season (pending no lockout)? If so then the Saints have the right of first refusal and option to match any offer he gets from other teams. They also get to determine what compensation a team has to give them if they take him. He's good but nobody's going to pay him huge money and give up draft picks for him.

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I'm not so sure. Reggie is due $12m next season. Hard to imagine Benson will be willing to pay that unless him comes back and dominates on the way to a 2-Dat. Hard to imagine him taking a pay cut either. I hope he and Pierre both stay, but if it comes down to $ like it always does, I think Pierre will be the one that gets paid and stays, since it will be far less then what Reggie is owed, but still enough to keep him happy.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ok, 8 weeks for a sprained ankle? Pierre will not be back next year. I damn sure wouldn't resign him, unless he comes back and just goes off.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Yea, Sean hasn't been happy with him since before the season when he skipped out on all the voluntary workouts and now this.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

torn ligament in the ankle, actually

that came out about 2 weeks ago