Pig Hunting w/ Dogs

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Feb 16, 2013.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Going next Saturday if nothing happens. I'm kinda in charge of facilitating this. My daughter's BF's dad and grandfather have some prime deer/pig land. They mentioned hog hunting and I told them I had two friends who hunted dogs so they asked me to talk to them.

We're going to turn the dogs loose that morning, hopefull catch/kill a few then cook lunch out in the woods. Cooking fish I'm catching now in hoop nets. Had 9 catfish this morning but some were small so I filetted them for a woman I work with. No, no, she's big, fat & ugly. Just doesn't have a man but loves fish.

As for the pig hunt, I've never been and not sure what to expect. Anyone here ever do that shyt?

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Went several times in Texas. Those fuggers are a menace. Here is the best way to hunt them: By the way, the landscape here is exactly what it looked like about 2 miles from where I used to live. This video was taken about 100 miles from where we lived.

Killing starts at 1:27

Here's another

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Catahoulas are the absolute best pig dogs. a pack of them will take the pig down from behind.

4. LSUTiga

My dam lap top loads videos slow but I'll try to check them later. Since you had priors last weekend and missed out on the last adventure, you are welcome to come on this one.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

A lady walks in a bar with a duck under her arm....the bouncer say, "Sorry, we don't let pigs in here." The lady says, "That's not a pig, that's a duck."

The bouncer says, "I was talking to the duck !!!"

:p

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

One of my friends who has dogs does not like the internet (very very cajun) so I've been combing through La. Sportsman for him looking for pig dogs.

From reading the adds I see some are to trail and some are "catch dogs". I would've thought the pit bulls were the best for that but I have no clue.

7. LSUTiga

What did the blind man say when he walked into the fish market????

HELLO Ladies! :D

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Dang. My next 3 Saturdays are taken up. My parents sold their office building and they have to have all of their stuff out before the end of the month. Dad practiced architecture for 50 years and mom had her real estate firm in the same building for 25 years. They kept EVERYTHING! I am moving all of this stuff to storage for them. I've been keeping a running total of trash weight to the dump. I'm over 12,000 pounds of files alone!

Anyway, anytime after those 3 weeks, I would love to go. I need a break! Thanks Tiga. Take some video for us.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Never seen that. The Catahoula hog dogs I've seen in North Louisiana seek out the alpha hog and annoy and bait him until he's pissed and chases them . . . right into the pen or kill zone. The sows will follow him, too.

10. LSUTiga

I've never downloaded video from my cam to youtube and I may be able to with my phone but it's not an Iphone.

Not these hogs in South La. They've evolved and are smart/hard to catch, from the stories I hear. It's all they can to bay/catch them.

One of the guys I drink coffee with told me how the marsh hogs, for example, have gotten taller and more elusive over the years he's hunted them.

I had a friend call me the other day to go with him get one out of a trap. We got there and the pig was gone. Lifted a pretty heavy drop gate and escaped. I was told not only would HE NOT be back but he would keep the others away from that trap. That's the place we're going next Saturday so his ass may still end up in a Cajun Microwave before it's all said and done. Like they say, "He ain't out a da woods yet."