Pig Hunting w/ Dogs

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Feb 16, 2013.

1. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

They left a boar in the woods.
    Bet they've had catbox sausage before. Lol!
    Looks like y'all had a blast. Congrats on the harvest.

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

That's cool as shit. Looks like y'all had a good time and a successful hunt. When the ZA starts i'm headed down since you always seem to have some bad ass food.

stevescookin and LSUTiga like this.
  3. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

Looks like a solid day! I bet that little suckling piglet was delicious!

So, how did the dogs do? Work together as a pack? Did someone go in, once the pit had it pinned down, to finish it with a knife?

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

The dogs didn't necessarily stay together the whole time. The first one (smallest) was dead when we got there. The catch dog had crushed it. Two others were shot by guys on stand and the other two, I'm not sure. I'd taken the first three back to the camp so the others could hunt. By that time I had had two bloody mary's and a couple of chasers (bud light). I was tending the fire in prep for the fish we were going to cook on it.

Oh, we didn't take any meat. We left it for the others. Two of the guys had driven down from Wyoming. They were friends with the property owners who are a father and son. They were the two who got to shoot from stand. Dang yankies, as I called them that day to pick, missed two others. Dude said he forgot to bolt another round in.

5. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Fascinating and I have so many questions I don't know where to begin.....

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

It's pretty simple hun, don't complicate it.

Imma take a shot at what I think your questions would be. Grade me.

1/ "Catch Dog"....a dog that is released after the other dogs have bayed a pig. This dog latches (bites) onto the hog until one of several things happen- all of which end up in the pig's demise.

2/ "Guys on stand"...not to be mistaken for a woodie. They're put in a tree stand that's most commonly used to hunt deer; however, this particular morning they were after hogs.

3/ "Tending fire in preparation for the fish we were going to cook on it"...simply making sure there was a lot of wood burning but not too much that it would be too tall to put quatre pod (4 legged grill placed over coals to put pot on- we actually had one that was a tripod that day). We call the coals some "blezzes".

4/ "Bolt another round in"...this is not code for a second coming, it's a "bolt action" rifle. Google it.

How'd I do? If I had to take one out it would be #3 cause you should know that one.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I don't know how you did for her, but I lol'd at the woodie comment.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Blezze les bon temps rouler !!!!!! :D

9. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Grade B

You mentioned the dogs don't always stay together and then followed it up by saying the smallest was dead, I presume you meant smallest pig?

Do you just turn the dogs loose, if so how do you get them all back? Or do you even care?

What are the several things that happen when the "Catch Dog" gets the pig? More dogs? More coonasses?

I presume these dogs aren't house pets like Labs, correct? They look pissed!

Tell your friend to clean his camp up, looks like a pigpen.....oh wait.

10. Tiger in TX

Tiger in TX Quack

I might be warming up to this a little, as long as the dogs aren't mine. I'm going to see if i can work up an invite from my friend who runs the black mouth curs. This may be something that can help me cope with the post duck season let down.

stevescookin likes this.