Pitino and Cal going at it...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Jun 15, 2011.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

The Big East got back a little respect with UConn's run last year. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Charles Barkley bashing the Big East with Pitino weakly attempting to defend it. You could literally see Pitino's blood pressure rising but he had no arguments to back up his position. All he could say was, "I guarantee Notre Dame will win this game". Of course, they lost and the bashing of the Big East continued.

I've never really liked Cal either but there was an article in SI last year that made him out to be kinda alright. He's definitely worked hard to achieve his success.

3. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Pitino is pretty much right, but I'm not sure why he would be arguing since he lost in the first round and to UK in the regular season.

It will be interesting with the expanded 12 on 12 conference challenge this year though.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Ok, maybe it's not a perennial powerhouse basketball conference, but just a couple of years ago an SEC team win back to back championships for the first time in almost 20 years. Not only that, but with the exception of a year here or there, it seems like there's always at least one SEC team in the final four.

Let's us not also forget that the BCS champion has come from the SEC 5 straight years and 7 out of 12 (not counting USC's strip).

And to top it off, there are 3 SEC teams in this year's CWS, all of which are capable of winning it. If they do, it will be the 3rd straight year the national champion is from the SEC.

A 2nd rate conference? I think not.

5. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I think he and everyone meant just basketball. Don't think you will find anyone arguing that the SEC is 2nd rate in football.

You could argue the SEC East was 2nd rate in football last year though. :rofl:

1 person likes this.
  6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Yeah, I'm with ya. I guarantee the SEC could be a perennial basketball powerhouse if they wanted to, but football is king in the south; especially financially, so that's where the resources go.

The SEC dominates 2 of the 'Big 3' sports, so they we have to leave something for the rest of the nation. :thumb: :hihi: :wave:

7. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

They better hope the climate change thing doesn't cause a ice age cause if we learn hockey down south....just saying