Plan B to fix up Tiger Stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeathValley, May 8, 2003.

1. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

LSU will spend $85 million to fix up LSU football facalities in time for the 2005 season. The TAF hopes to borrow the money, securing a loan based on an expected $6 million in annual revenue from roughly 3,000 new club seats on the west side of Tiger Stadium. The reason we have to go through the TAF is if LSU decided to do the project its self it would take years because they would have to go through the state for approval. Bertman said that the school also plans to change its ticket-pricing procedures so that the best seats in Tiger Stadium will be the most expensive. With all of the money earned they will tear down the west upper deck and make it like the east upper. There will also be a new press box more suites. Also they will spend another $7 million which will go toward improving restrooms and concession stands, waterproofing the stadium, adding paint, repairing seats and creating a "walk of fame" in the bowels of the stadium. They will also build a football operations center, dubbed "Sabanville," located next to the team's practice facility down the street from Tiger Stadium and should cost between $7 million and $10 million. All construction will begin after the 2003 season
    Fixin Up Tiger Stadium

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I think what Skip meant by that is that TAF is "stepping out on a limb" by taking out a VERY large loan to do what it takes to get Tiger Stadium up to 21st Century standards. It's not like we gave them much of a choice. The "Old Guard" of LSU fans and the state Legislature's obstinate refusal to repeal the 12 percent rule, or even raise the cap a little bit, has forced us to do this.

Of course, we could have LSU do it "officially", but we'd have to go through the state's capital outlay process, which could take up to two decades. I kid you not. Private foundations are the way to go in this to get something done quickly.

For now, I'm willing to put the fight over TAF on the back burner, FOR NOW. Sooner or later, LSU fans are going to have to realize we need to take the necessary steps to give TAF the leeway they need to help our athletic department be the best in the country. For the time being, I don't care how we get it done, as long as it's done. Tiger Stadium is in DESPERATE need of a facelift and amenities improvements, like new seats, renovated dormitories, new exterior windows, a fresh coat of paint, expanded permanent restrooms and concession stands. Waterproofing the stadium sounds like a great idea too. And the new West side upper deck will give our stadium a great symmetrical appearance and functional balance.

I'm not satisfied with the atmosphere. I'm not satisfied with the size. I want Tiger Stadium to also be a beautiful, modern, first-class college football venue. It should be in the Top five in every stadium amenity category.

3. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

I agree 100%. People need to put their problems with the TAF away for now. The thing is Tiger Stadium is becoming an ancient relic. Well not at this moment but if things are not done to it in the next few years things could get bad. Have you ever seen the exterior of the stadium. It is ugly looking. All that mildew and years of weather have taken it's toll. The inside needs work too. The bathrooms are beyond nasty especially in the student section. Lets allow the TAF to do it's job. They do a damm fine job yet many people only find the faults about them. Every team in the SEC has done some type of major work to their football stadium in the last few years. We put the east upper up in 2000 but thats about all we have done to Tiger Stadium since the early 80's. We need to fix up Tiger Stadium while keeping the intimidating feel and look. Please support the TAF's efforts to fix up Tiger Stadium and help LSU Athletics move into the 21st century.