Platooning Quaterbacks???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LES4PREZ, Apr 14, 2006.

1. LES4PREZ

LES4PREZ Founding Member

Do you think Les will do this or settle on one? I really hope that he settles on one guy b/c I really believe that all three are capable of running the offense. I am just curious to see what everyone else thinks?:helmet:

2. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Same rotation as last year. But Perriloux could help us in other ways while waiting his turn at QB. Similar to robinson from PSU. That guy played everything before he got his chance at QB.

Only problem is that his ego may be bigger than that. We shall see.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I truely believe everyone thinks that because of what he said prior to setting foot on campus...but I honestly feel that RP has been humbled a bit since then. Not only in watching first-hand the talents that both Russell and Flynn posses, but also realizing his own limitations in understanding that a college playbook is just a WEEEEEE bit more difficult to pick up than a high school one...

No doubt RP wants to play--who doesn't? And if you find any underclassman that doesn't want to play then let me know. But I believe he's (RP) more understanding than what we all think.

4. TigerMed

TigerMed Founding Member

Les Mile did not have a QB rotation last year. It was JR all the way and Flynn only played on mop-up duty or when Russell was hurt. I believe Miles will choose the best QB in fall practice (and it could be any of them, but probably JR or MF IMO) and stick with him as getting the majority of snaps unless something goes wrong.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Last year, Flynn got very few snaps (until JR was injured), and I think that was mostly due to Miles wanting Russell to understand all the elements of the game as it was his first year as a definitive starter.

This makes hopefull that Miles will feel more inclined to put in Flynn & RP now that JR has enough experience and leadership to not have to always be on the field.

I just hope Miles doesn't stick to his 35 pt lead before putting in backups rule.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Same here. But like you pointed out, perhaps Miles wanted JR to gain as much experience in all aspects of the game as he possibly could?

Personally, it always worried me to see our starting QB still in the game with LSU out comfortably....

7. clair

clair Rockets

Being that he volunteered to lift his redshirt if he needed to in the Peach Bowl, and the coaches didn't let him, I'd say he don't have that big of an ego...

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

None of the qb's may have have ego problems, but I really doubt any of them enjoy being the backup even if the team is winning.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Quarterbacks should be rotated just like the other positions, especially when there are 3 capable QB's. The starter should play most of the game, but he should be relieved for one or two drives in each half by the capable backup QB, even in tight games. The backup needs to be experienced in case the starter goes down.

If the starter has the game in control and up by several scores, the backup should play for much of the second half and the reserve QB should get playing time in the 4th quarter.

Any player at any position will get discouraged if he never sees the field. If LSU has three good quarterbacks, they should be played. And Miles has hinted that they will.

10. MEW4thTiger

MEW4thTiger Founding Member

Red I agree. I think we need to do what Georgia did when they had Green and Shockley. Green would start, and somewhere in most games, Shockley would come in for a series or two per half. I thought it really switched gears and made it hard for the defense to adjust-and most of the time they seemed to do well with it. Also, by the time it was Shockley's offense, he thrived.

The bad thing about platooning between two QB's is that it does change the chemistry in some fashion......and if it does so in a negative way I think you stick w/ 1 main QB. However, if it improves, and I believe it will improve our offense, you have something to keep the defensive minds guessing.

Can't frickin' wait till Football Season!!!!!