Play calling

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Oct 25, 2009.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fans got to see what they've been asking for versus Auburn. Throwing long, throwing often, rollout passing, bootleg runs, screens, and control passes. Lee got a drive. Shepard got into the game.

A lot of I-formation with a fullback, too. Not too effective but definitely a power running look that we have missed this year.

2. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Sure did. I was enjoying it but thought how crazy I was and how smart the coaches were in not being TOO opened up earlier in the season. As the commentators stated, it was almost TOO much and the team couldn't establish continuity for a spell.

I thought to myself how foolish I'd be to let the words out of my mouth after harping on the need for more. lol

LOVED Shep's run, guy is special, as many other of our players. Coleman had a huge night and Jones is spectacular too.

3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yes, but I especially liked what I didn't see - namely, the sideline not changing the playcalling at the line of scrimmage, and no option plays.

The throwing long with JJ doesn't always connect, but it does keep the defense honest, and set up other plays later. Lee's arm looked great comparitively, but LSU is one of the best in the nation this year in the offense not turning the ball over, and that alone is worth JJ in there over Lee, even though Lee's arm is clearly stronger. JJ has more intangibles, IMO.

4. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

It was a great game. Tigers fan are very high on the coach and team this week.:miles:

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

:lol:

Points allowed by Auburn's D so far this season
    44 -- Arkansas
    31 -- LSU (Crowton and 2 passing TDs by JJ, 1 rushing TD by JJ, 1 rushing TD by Shep, 1 FG)
    30 -- West Virginia
    30 -- Ball State
    24 -- Miss State
    22 -- Tennessee
    21 -- Kentucky
    13 -- La. Tech

1 person likes this.
  6. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

i do still hate the option to the short side of the field and for the life of me can't figure out why they run it so much.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It was tried once and the game was well in hand at the time. Think of it as live practice.

8. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

The only time I was scratching my head was the Fumble drive, where they ran JJ twice in a row, although that could have set up some things later on. Just seemed to me that at that point of the drive, we would have given Auburn a big dose of Scott. Or maybe some RS. I just don't see the point of using JJ in the red zone like that. But I am a fan, and they are the coaches, so maybe they were just breaking some tendencies and setting things up.

Play calling other than that sure did look and feel different last night.

9. CajinTigah

CajinTigah Founding Member

There were some plays that had me scratching my head... but overall you could not ask for much more than they did throughout the game.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

This game was Deff a good start to an O that is coming around.

Improvement again next week will be a big plus for the bama game.