Players most likely to break out next season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tzanghi, Jan 18, 2020.

1. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Last year's thread: http://tigerfan.com/threads/what-players-are-most-likely-to-breakout-next-year.151190/

2020 Breakout players(in no particular order):

1. Damone Clark

Clark will be called upon to step up with Queen and Phillips leaving early. LB will be a key determinant of whether we do well. I really liked the speed and tackling that he displayed this year in some back up time, and I also love the way he blitzes the A-gap. He's got the size to play the position, although I'd like to see him put on 5-10 pounds. I think we move him to MLB, and he becomes the next good LB making plays sideline to sideline.

2. Trey Palmer

This kid has tons of talent, but couldn't see the field due to our 3 deep WR core this year. I think he fills in the slot for Jefferson and does well. He's a shifty guy that you'd like to get the ball to in space. I think Chase and Marshall continue to be deep threats on the outside, and Palmer is more of a short to intermediate threat that gets a lot of YAC.

3. Marcel Brooks

Brooks saw a decent amount of playing time this year in the pass-rushing package. He has great height and length, but is a bit lean for OLB. I'd like to see him put a few pounds on in the off season, but I see him as a good contributor next year. I think he starts at OLB and provides another rangey LB for our system who can set the edge and chase RBs down in the flat.

4. Mo Hampton

Hampton really demonstrated great center field capabilities in the single high safety look. He can close on ball tacklers, tackle well, and track the deep ball. Having him stay deep in a single high look will allow us to keep Stevens and Harris close to the line to provide a little bit of size with 5 DBs on the field. I don't necessarily think Hampton becomes the top safety, but I see his value in allowing Stevens and Harris freedom to make plays.

5. Myles Brennan

We've seen his arm and his accuracy. In the past, I would have been a lot more skeptical of an LSU QB doing well in his first year. I think our system is QB friendly enough that a guy like Brennan can come in and throw 25+ TDs. I think we see him take over the offense with good skill and set himself up for a very good senior season.

Give me your bust out guys for 2020.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    lsu-i-like and Sourdoughman like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Tyrion Davis-Price should make an impact.

furduknfish likes this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Hampton - Delpit
    Brooks - Chaisson
    Clark - Queen
    Palmer - Jefferson

If those 4 are anywhere in the neighborhood of being replacements, 2020 it's going to be terrific.

The entire D line is coming back pretty much. Flott, Ricks, Vincent excellent depth at corner and nickel.

I can't overestimate how important Stevens coming back was for this defense. He's going to be the de facto leader in 2020. I would not be surprised to see him make first-team All-American.

O line will need to gel but the talent is definitely there.

I predict three to four of the incoming freshman see immediate playing time and eventually start next season. That's how star studded this class is.

X favor Ali Gaye JC transfer, edge rusher. If he can make an impact, watch out.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  4. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Has to beat out Curry first, that won't be easy

fanatic, islstl and lsu-i-like like this.
  5. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Arik Gilbert.

furduknfish, lsu-i-like and tzanghi like this.
  6. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

I am torn about the RB position. I think Curry starts because TDP doesn’t have the lateral movement capabilities that we would like to see for this offense. I would love to see TDP get lots of downhill carries, though.

7. islstl

I was sold on Curry after the OU game.

That dude wants it.

That being said if Emery doesn't take over, I'd be concerned about him. Highly touted 5 star can't miss prospect. As we know running back easiest position to transition from high school to college. If he can't take over, then something is really wrong concerning work ethic, football instincts, smarts, etc.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

And likewise those who recruited and coached him. But was Curry a scrub?

9. islstl

Ranked #355 nationally in recruiting.

As a reference point CEH ranked #378.

So very similar as to what people thought about both of these RBs coming out of HS. Good talent but nowhere close to elite. Clyde turned out to be elite.

65Grad and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Ja’Marr Chase
    Terrace Marshall Jr.
    Ty Davis-Price
    John Emery
    Chris Curry
    Racey McMath
    Arik Gilbert
    Trey Palmer
    Derek Stingley