Players sky high or all business?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by flabengal, Sep 16, 2003.

1. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Question from someone who never played organized football:

Do the coaches try and pump the players up before the big games like this or do they try and keep the players emotions in check? I think everybody has all the respect in the world for Saban but he doesn't strike me as a coach that delivers Knute Rockne type speeches....I could see how his all business approach is an asset under normal circumstances but between two closely matched teams emotion could easily be the difference maker...(see Rohan Davey and comeback in the Peach Bowl)...am I right on this? Does it depend on the position, linemen/quarterbacks handled differently....and what does the kicker do berfore the game, meditate or what?

This is no knock on Saban, just curious on what the coaches do to prep the players before the big games to avoid the 'brook trout look'.

2. Hub

Hub Founding Member

3. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

I believe there has to be emotion in the game, but Georgia can have all the emotion, and LSU have some and play with focus (business like attitude) and I believe LSU still wins. Look at the earlier Nebraska teams, when they were dominate. I’ve watched them many times and regardless who they played, the team seemed to come out the same way for every game. Too much emotion can cause a panic when something goes wrong, and you can slip into the desperation mode. Emotion under control, with focus on the task at hand will provide a better opportunity to succeed. JMO

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

During the 2001 season, in the week leading up to the Tennessee game, ESPN's cameras followed Saban all week long. One of those "Game Week W/The Tigers" in focus features for halftime or whatever...

Saban was shown after practice one day saying, "OK, guys...It's time to get p!ssed off and angry. This team came in here last year and didn't respect us at all. We won the game, but they took cheap shots....and yadda, yadda, yadda..." trying to get his team in a froth for game day...

I think Saban shows fiery emotion on the sideline all the time. I think that if he were to discourage that same emotion on the field, he'd be acting hypocritically.

Having said that, I think it must be a rage almost...a controlled rage for the other team...