Playing OK in the regular season too risky?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sugarlsu, Mar 10, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

wow....as an aside that superdome pic is awesome....wow....now getting back to the subject at hand.....from a pure argument you've got me.....if you want one team to get there you're right.....but....sometimes you have to make the sacrifice and do it for more than just you.....if football proliferates in the state of louisiana like in florida........it's all good.....due to the population differences it will be harder to do.....but......it spreads the odds.....you have to ask, what does success in this sport mean....yeah let them belittle it but it can be big......

2. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

Not if we lose to them! I think by winning another NC and a several SEC titles we will reach that goal. Fl and Bama are powerhouses that we play every year, sure Bama is down now, but I think they will be back.

3. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

and by the way....it was done last year and aside from the florida loss worked just fine.....if fla was beat.....there would've been zero argument....build the program in your state......think long term.....

4. BB

BB Founding Member

Last year no team went undefeated. Odds are, someone will next year. I want LSU to have the best chance to be one of them. Why don't you?

5. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I do. I'm a firm believer that to be the best, you need to play the best. You can't pad your nonconference schedule with pansies.

I think it would be fun to play you guys in a home and home.

6. BB

BB Founding Member

It would be a great deal of fun and an exciting series. We defeated OU in the NC Game in January by 7 points in the biggest game in LSU history and now we want to play them twice on purpose - it makes no sense.

Is the objective still to win as many games as possible? Why is any Tiger fan worried about respect? Respect from who? Put one or two more of those trophies on campus...

By the way, what kind of trophy do they give for respect and big balls anyway? How can we play OU while USC recruits their asses off and plays in the Puss-10? IT MAKES NO SENSE!

7. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

Who do you recommend we play

Jerry's kids
    Lighthouse of the blind
    UNO

If you could ask Saban off the record, he would say he would rather play teams like Oklahoma, Miami and Florida State rather than play UL Monroe, ULL and Southeast Illinois of Inner Chicago any day. No doubt we play in the toughest conference in the nation, but that is no excuse not to play one top quality team OFC. Florida plays Florida State and Miami. Tennessee played Miami. Alabama played Oklahoma. To reinforce, the year that Florida won the National Championship they lost to Florida State in the regular season and preceded to kick their a$$ in the National Championship game. Unbelivable!!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. BB

BB Founding Member

If you asked Saban he would likely tell you that those games are much more than wins. They allow extended time to develop players in key positions, calm nerves and evaluate players and especially freshman and sophomores and players making position changes.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

BB You can still do all those things that you mentioned by playing two weaker teams and one top quality team.

10. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Confidence, Swagger...etc. If you got it, bring em on. I don't think either one of these teams backs away from a challenge, that's why they were the two best teams playing for the NC. Line the schedule with the Buckeyes, Wolverines, Canes for OOC. If you are the Sh*t, show it.