Playoff Idea

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CoastalNole, Apr 17, 2007.

1. CoastalNole

CoastalNole Founding Member

1 person likes this.
  2. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Another idea that wont work. Who in their right mind would have Central Michigan, Troy and Houston in ANY playoff scenario? Thats nuts.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Short of re-algning all of division 1 to the point where there is no "mid-major" conferences, no playoff would be "fair or legit". I have a syatem I've been working on for a couple of years, but I keep hitting walls where it just won't work. All a playoff system will do is move the controversy, not fix it. Anyone want to offer me suggestions, PM me, and I'll outline what I already have for you.

Unless someone can come up with a plan that involves absolutely NO HUMAN or COMPUTER POLLS, it will not work. We need a plan with legit tie-breakers, one that decides ALL conference champs in the same manner, etc. etc.

4. JakeTheTiger

JakeTheTiger Founding Member

That is impossible. How would you seed without polls? I don't think anyone thinks we can rid the system of controversy, just lessen it.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

EVERY professional sports league manages to seed without polls.

6. JakeTheTiger

That is a different beast. They don't have near the amount of teams. They play more opponents, rather than the NCAA conference play.

Seeding is pretty much the same thing as a poll. The only way to take out computers and humans is to have some sort of random seeding.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

NFL teams currently play 13 different opponents per year, the NCAA plays 12. Not a big difference. The NFL is broken into 2 conferences, 8 divisions.
    I would re-align Div 1 into 8 conferences (then divide them in half like east/west maybe). Have a set rotating oder of which conference your OOC opponents come from (just like the NFL does) for 3 of your 4 OOC games, leaving one OOC game available for traditional rivals (like UGA/GT, USC/ND). Which team you play in those OOC games, goes by where you finished the year before (example: SEC runner up playsPac-10 runner up, and on down the line).This will give you true stength of schedule tie-breakers for each division.Then At the end of the season, they play the games off. Whoever emerges from the East, plays whoever emerges from the west.
    Note: Divisions don't have to be East/West, I just used that as an example.

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

9. JakeTheTiger

I am still confused as to how this would work. The NFL has 32 teams. Far less than the NCAA. I am not saying it is impossible, I just think it would be very difficult to model it after the NFL playoffs.

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

First, re-align Div 1 into 8 conferences with 12 teams each. Conference schedule, for my plan is modeled after the SEC since it is the one I'm most farmiliar with. 8 Conference Games 4 OOC games.

On a set rotating basis, is how 3 of the 4 OOC games are determined. For example, let's just say this year he SEC plays the ACC, Big East, and Pac-10.
    That means every team from the SEC plays 1 team from each of the other 3 conferences (similar to how the NFL schedules are determined). To decide which team in the other conferences you play, is decided by where you finished the year before. Meaning Conf. Champ plays Conf. Champ. Cellar Dweller plays Celler Dweller.

This leave 1 OOC game left up to the school to schedule. This leaves the ability to play traditional rivals every year. Schools who do not have a traditional OOC rival, are free to schedule whomever they choose (schools can opt out of trad. rivals if they want to play someone else though).

If you want to consider the Conf. Champ games round 1, then there are 16 teams. If not, then there's only 8. Divide the country in half. Put 4 teams in one "Super Conference" and 4 teams in the other. These are permanent spots (like AFC and NFC). The 4 teams are seeded by overall record. Tie-Breakers would be H2H, Like Opponents, etc. etc.

Whoever wins-out in one "Super Conference" plays the team that wins out in the other. Winner of that game is National Champs.

1 person likes this.