Playoff Idea

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CoastalNole, Apr 17, 2007.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I like the setup but there are alot of questions that would have to be worked out. 21 teams would be left out of Div I. Would you make 2 more smaller conferences with 10 teams and leave 1 team out or would they all be bumped? I think that would be impossible with Universitys getting downgraded. But I like the line of thinking and I like how Conference Championships would be played in the 1st round.

How would you include the Bowls into the playoffs? My guess would be rotating the major bowls in the quarterfinals thru the final.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

The re-alignment part is where I get stuck. If I could find a little info, as far as enrollment, avg attendance over last 10 years or so, winning percentage, etc. I would attempt to find a "fair" line to draw in the sand. There are schools who continuallyy struggle to maintain D-1 status. I would attempt to eliminate that problem.

As far as the Bowls being involved, I was gfoing to wait untl I had the re-alignment problems figured out before tackling another issue. I'm confident there is a way to do it, I'm just not sure how. I was thinking of letting some of the smaller Bowls select teams not participating in the playoffs. Kinda like an NIT situation (just not a tourney) for football.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

That info isn't really hard to find. Just takes some time. My question is, how do you get the NCAA to adopt such a proposal. Take a look at the NCAA President's Executive Committee. They have his ear and yet the only major Divsion 1 school represented is Georgia. The NCAA needs a complete reorganization, a major audit of their financials, and the demolition of the sub-committe culture that paralyzes any effective action.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Bribery first, then blackmail, then personal threats..

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

More Southern Charm I see. :hihi:

6. JakeTheTiger

JakeTheTiger Founding Member

I like the theory, but it seems like a little too much work. That and bumping teams from D-1 status would make for some very unhappy university heads.

7. doubledeuce

doubledeuce Founding Member

This would help bring parity to college football and allow smaller schools to have a chance to come up in the CF world. Parity is not a bad thing..look at march madness. Anyone who is not for "mid-majors" getting a chance is just proving that they are ignorant. Ask Billy Packer what happens when you bash mid majors.

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I would hope that any system implemented by the powers that be put at least this much work into it.

When is the last time the NCAA re-evaluated the standards for Div-1? I know the attendance figur to remain D-1 is 15,000 per game average. I see no reason why this number can't be raised. Hell, there are some High School teams that can pull in close to that number. Also, I think they should look at winning pct over a long period of time. The teams that are just here for a paycheck, without ever carrying any of their own weight should also be let go. At least make it look like your trying to compete. That's why you find a set 'line" of attendance, winning, everything that goes into it, and everyone below that line, Welcome to D1AA

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

A playoff that invites 16 teams seriously injures both the bowls and the regular season that most hold so dear.

A playoff that has to realign conferences to work is not a very realistic proposal. Getting a playoff approved is hard enough; having to change the structure of 1a football is an even more immense task.

The SEC is currently pushing for some sort of playoff and Florida is leading the charge. I'm hoping that something can come of it because I seriously believe a playoff is needed.

I've made a playoff that invites 2-8 teams, makes room for nonBCS teams, benefits conference champions, takes both the regular season and bowls into consideration, and leaves no deserving team out. It uses ratings but I don't see that being an issue.

The semi-finals and finals are held at the BCS bowls, meaning 3 of the 4 BCS bowls participate a year (unless less than 4 teams qualify, which will most likely never happen). Quarter final games are held at the home of the higher seeded team to deal with the issue of fan base mobility, bowl attendance, and bowl revelry.

I am very interested in discussing this further. I've put a lot of thought into it.

10. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Why, why, why do we keep talking about his garbage. If there is EVER an official NCAA playoff then it will have to be IDENTICAL to the playoffs held for Divisions I-AA, II, and III. Is there any reason to think otherwise?

I imagine the bowls could simply bid to host semi-finals and the championship game. Teams losing in the first round might then accept a minor bowl bid. Teams left out of the top 16 might accept a minor bowl bid.