Playoff Idea

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CoastalNole, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

How can you not see that being an issue? People b!tched and bickered about what teams gaet into BCS Bowls, not just the CG! Think about it, how often is the cutoff line blatanly obvious? Very rarely. Think about it, with rankings using last years final polls (before bowl games) Oklahoma< Big XII champ was sitting at 10. You just left them out of it. Good luck convincing the Presidents to go for that idea.

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

A 16 team playoff would wipe out a number of bowls and make the regular season less exciting, which is one of the things 1a football is very proud of (their slogan is something like "every game matters"). Programs would be under much more pressure to make the playoff - the bowls are no longer an acceptable end to the season, the playoff turns into a requirement almost. Many of the things we love about college football would be dashed and 1a football would move ever closer to being the NFL-lite.

I misspoke. Of course it will be an issue, someone will always have an issue. Yes, Oklahoma would be left out (most didn't mind that this year). Oklahoma must be left out to maintain the integrity of the regular season. Jeopardizing the regular season is bad for the bottom line. Allowing too many teams into a playoff also puts exponentially more pressure on every program to perform. Excitement about making a bowl is diminished, which effects the bowl city, stability of the program crumbles and more emphasis is put on performance than tradition or doing it right. It is in college football's best interest to not let Oklahoma in. It is in every Big 12 program's best interest not to let Oklahoma in. Post-season play affects more than just which team is crowned national champion.

Not making a 6 team playoff sucks for LSU, but is much more stomachable than not making a 16 team playoff. With a 6 team playoff that LSU doesn't make, we still have a chance at winning a prestigious bowl and ending the season on a high note. It is in college football's best interest to keep a playoff small. It is in LSU's interest, the bowls' interest, in the interest of the regular season, and in the interest of every 1a program, specifically competitive BCS programs.

I aim to include all deserving teams and keeping those who slip through the cracks at a minimum. Since 1995, I haven't left out one contentious team. Usually every conference isn't represented, but that isn't such a big deal in a small playoff. There can still be exclusive guarantees to high profile secondary bowls. I can see a money sharing rule, where the top x conferences get a portion of the proceeds.