Playoff Scenarios

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 2, 2019.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Time to discuss how a 1 loss SEC team that doesn't win the SEC CG gets into the playoffs.

At this point that only applies to LSU and Alabama.

Let's look at the contenders and who they could lose to.

Georgia (1 bad loss)
    @ #11 Auburn
    Texas A&M
    SEC CG

Clemson (undefeated)

#23 Wake Forest
    @ South Carolina (only because it's a rivalry game)

A loss to Wake Forest knocks Clemson out of the ACC CG unless Wake Forest loses against another ACC opponent. That would effectively put them below the 1 loss LSU/Alabama.

Ohio State (undefeated)
    #5 Penn State
    @ #14 Michigan
    Big 10 CG

Penn State (undefeated)
    @ #13 Minnesota
    @ #3 Ohio State
    Big 10 CG

Minnesota (undefeated)
    #5 Penn State
    @ #19 Iowa
    #18 Wisconsin
    Big 10 CG

The Big 10 looks like they stand a decent shot of having an undefeated champion, likely the winner of Ohio State vs Penn State. Minnesota and Michigan could have a say in that, however.

Oklahoma (1 bad loss)
    @ #12 Baylor
    Big 12 CG

Baylor (undefeated)
    @ TCU
    #10 Oklahoma
    Texas
    Big 12 CG

Best outcome is Baylor beats Oklahoma then loses to Oklahoma in the Big 12 CG, effectively knocking out any Big 12 team from the playoffs.

Oregon (1 strong loss)
    @ Arizona State
    Pac 12 CG

Utah (1 decent loss)
    UCLA
    Pac 12 CG

The PAC 12 is almost certainly going to have a 1 loss team at season's end. That could be problematic unless it's Utah.

So the likeliest scenario if getting 2 SEC teams into the playoffs is going to be SEC Champion, LSU/Alabama loser, Clemson, Big 10 Champ.

Where things get complicated for that 2nd SEC team to get in is if the LSU/Alabama winner loses in a very close game to Georgia. Then what? My guess is both participants in the SEC CG get into the playoffs. This is assuming Georgia runs the table.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

Realistically ... Dude Tua ain’t playing Saturday and even if he did we’d still truck Bama’s ass!

LSU ... Clemson ... Ohio State ...

Or

LSU ... Ohio State ... Clemson ...

Playoff Game 1: #1 LSU vs Who ???
    Playoff Game 2: #2 OSU vs Clem

Who’s the fourth team after Bama gets trucked

We’re gonna kill Georgia in Mylanta after:

at Ole Miss ... 30 point rout
    Vs Arky ... 50 point rout
    Vs TAMU ... 30 point rout
    Vs Georgia ... 20 point rout again

So ... Who is the 4th team in this scenario?

Who gives us a scrimmage while Clemson and Ohio State beat each other’s brains out?

WHO

islstl likes this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I'm with you Ramah, I think we'll beat Alabama.

But can we beat Alabama and the refs? That's the real question. It's a valid concern.

4. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

We’re gonna truck Bama 44 or 45 to less than 20 ... Refs or not ... They can’t stop our offense and we’re gonna 3 and out their asses all day with deer-in-the-headlights Jones & Tiny Tua

No way they let a badly trucked Bama hang around and be the fourth team

So do we get a Baylor OU Winner ?
    A 1-Loss BAMA that we trucked
    or a Utah Oregon Winner

We gonna get Bama again lol

Thanks Santa ... That’s all I wanted for Xmas

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    islstl likes this.
  5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I’d be surprised if we truck Bama. O deserves a lot of credit, but beating Bama would be the start of something truly great. I’m afraid both sides are going to go conservative. Also, they got athletes that can beat us at receiver, world class lines, and we’ve struggled to get after the QB.

Big test for O, and the hardest part might be psychological. I’d love to see E score his first points on Saban.

KyleK, didit, islstl and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Georgia will creep into this conversation as well during sec championship

7. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

You been surprised all year Agnes

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

Georgia & creep ... Two wonderful words

Nothing but a spoiler*

We’ll see where they’re ranked today after Florida after the 1:30 PM polls are posted, but it’s all bluster cuz we line up and whip their asses again ... *They’ll crow for a rematch but they f-ing with Joey Dimes Heisman

Remember they gotta do Auburn ...
    Just ask the Oregon pusscakes and Heisman Her-Bert (first tranny to NFL) about Auburn

Saban got another whipping coming too
    It’s time for his lustrum (every 5 or so) beating from Auburn if doofgus can get his mind right

Rolan likes this.
  9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Can’t totally deny that, though I’ve been more in Eaux’s camp than most, I’d say.

I feel troubled by how many seem to be penciling in a win vs Bama. Haven’t beaten them in a spell and they still have 5 stars all over the field and a damn good coach leading them.

Those lines have whipped our asses and I bet Bama’s QB has a good game against us - I expect little pressure. I expected Chaisson to break records but he’s been pretty damn quiet this year.

And I’ve been disappointed in our STs; if we lose because of STs I’ll double down on calling for McMahon to go. Of course success could change my mind, did for the OL this year.

I’ve been hard on Aranda but I think he’s settling in. Bama seems to think they can run on us. Nothing would please me more than to make them 1D; if we can stop the run, I think our pass D is up to the challenge.

Hope to see strategically aggressive play calling from O/E/Brady.

el005639 likes this.
  10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I don't think a 1 loss bama gets in, period. They have about as weak a resume as they have had in years and nothing but the barn to pad 1 loss sitting out Atlanta? Ain't happening.

Waiting for Tuesday to be honest. I think the top 4 is gonna look a little different. Bama might even slip a spot for their pathetic schedule. We could slip a spot as well because that Texas win is no longer a thing unless Herman comes out and admits that LSU made em suck by stealing their want to even play anyone else. The one time I want Florida to actually win a fucking football game and they can't do that makes my hate for them particularly unhealthy.

We too have to beat the gumps and do damage in Atlanta because the balance of our schedule won't hold a jock strap. Lose to the gumps and the gumps go on to lose to the barn and our 1 loss opportunity takes a different look.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    kcal, shane0911 and lsu-i-like like this.