Please Slow Down Mr Ice Cream Man

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is some guy who drives an ice cream truck down my street sometimes but infrequently. I have no idea when he might show up. When I hear the music sometimes I want to buy something but by the time I get to the street he is always way down the street and headed elsewhere. There are very few children on my street some he usually cruses though without selling anything. This means I can't walk to his van while he is selling ice cream.

He just appeared again a few minutes ago and dammit, I want some ice cream.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

You don’t have any grocery stores out there in Baker? Buy a box of ice cream sammiches and walk, don’t run, to the freezer when you get the urge.

Bengal B likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't think if there any grocery stores in Baker or not. I didn't have an urge until I heard the ice cream music.

By the way how do those guys stand listening to that music all day day after day? I drove an ice cream truck for 3 days. I started on a Saturday and made good money both Saturday and Sunday. Both day I went to parks where there were lots of kids with parents who had to buy them ice cream to shut them up.
    I got so sick of hearing that music Saturday that before I got started on Sunday I went by a friend's house and borrowed 2 8 track tapes (this was in the 70s) He loaned me Led Zeppelin I and Led Zeppelin II, still their greatest imo.
    Went to another park and really got the Led out. Sold out in ice cream.

Monday the parks were empty and nobody was outside in the neighborhoods I drove through. Late that afternoon the truck's engine overheated and froze up.

The owner had to come tow it back to the location. Not only did I not make any money the owner blamed me for the truck breaking down, tried to tell me I owed for the ice cream (I didn't sell any and I ate one nutty buddy) and when I refused to pay for all the ice cream he lied about being missing he fired me.

GiantDuckFan, COTiger and LSUTiga like this.
  4. LSUTiga

I hear you on the sound being a Pavlovian conditioning.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

mmm, nutty buddy,.. now I want one

6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I'm not a big ice cream guy. However, my daughter introduced me to Halo ice cream. Y'all should try it. It is typically around 300 calories for the whole pint. I have tried several of their flavors, and they are pretty danged good.

tirk likes this.
  7. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

For some reason I have become lactose intolerant in my old age, therefore I stay away from ice cream as much as I can. I gotta buy the lactose free milk now just to enjoy the occasional bowl of cereal.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Do you enjoy it?

9. LSUTiga

I saw one yesterday with a new twist. Freggin BUBBLES pouring out of the top and the music. People didn’t know what was happening and switching lanes.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Weren't you the one who said "what's the big deal? Ice cream is is cream." when I extolled the greatness of Bluebell?