Pluto/New Horizons

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Jul 15, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

this is one of those...stoner mind blowing things. New Horizons has been in space since 06, it approached Pluto a few days ago, and sent an image of Pluto with what scientists believe is ice in the shape of a heart. But if you look a little closer, it looks like fucking Disney's Pluto. At least an outline or the shape of his head.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pluto-pluto-disney-dog-dwarf-6069062

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Is that what you see? It looks like either a skeleton with Jerry Garcia's head playing a guitar or Tom Brady letting the air out of A football. Depends on the angle.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

If you want to watch something really interesting try to catch the episode on space junk on the science channel. Talks about all the shit that is floating around in space that eventually will start crashing into each other and causing all sorts of chaos.

Also amazing how many and how small of objects that they keep track of.

4. LaSalleAve

That was actually an issue with New Horizons, they originally thought Pluto had only 2 or 3 moons. It was only until after they launched, and found that Pluto has 5 moons and that increased the chance of particles that ranged from the size of a grain of sand, to the head of pin. Those objects flying at high speeds could destroy the probe. So they had to come up with different trajectories, and wouldn't know the optimal trajectory until sometime soon before approaching Pluto's orbit.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Fuck Pluto, I'm talking about shit in our orbit. There are so many satellites and other crap that is just floating around up there, well, I say floating, its traveling at about 15k mph. There have been a couple of things that have crashed into each other and now that is a shit ton more of debris that is hurling through space. It is pretty wicked. Astronauts are out of their mind, a fleck of paint could rip open a space suit at that speed and if you can't make it back to the air lock in time it is curtains.

Screw that

6. LaSalleAve

One grain of sand traveling 17,000 mph could kill a human, pieces the size of a pin head can rip through metal. I'd say that's pretty brutal.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm not going to worry about it unless I win an all expense paid trip to Pluto

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Looks like an Oregon Duck to me.

GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  9. LaSalleAve

There is real concern now after the latest high resolution photos have come back.

Attached Files:

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fortunately space is pretty huge. The objects that travel at 75 mph on I-35 are a bigger risk to you than fast-moving space junk is to astronauts.