Po Boys

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSU Stud, Apr 3, 2004.

1. LSU Stud

LSU Stud Founding Member

I know there was a thread a while back about the best PoBoys, but let's start another one. In Baton Rouge the best shrimp poboy I've had is from George's on Perkins. That's one thing there that is usually always good. For a smaller sandwich, American Market on Nicholson makes a good roast beef sandwich. I'm not gonna call that a roast beef PB cause when I think of RBPBs I think of New Orleans style poboys with the gravy etc. Where in Baton Rouge can I find one like that? On the northshore, Rags in Mandeville and Rags II in Covington make some damn good poboys, everything they make is good. Also, Ola's Place or something like that, in Mandeville, makes good poboys. The best poboys though are Old Tyme Grocery in Lafayette on W. St. Mary street. Best oyster poboy ever. The Old Tyme special is great too, got ham, roast beef, salami, and turkey. One of these weighs about 3 pounds. Talk about good.

2. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

there's a place in orlando called jockamo's (a lady named hilda from houma opened it) and they import all of their ingredients and seafood from louisiana except for the bread......the key to a great po' boy is the bread (hard outside and soft inside)......she gave her recipe to a local bakery in orlando but the didn't get it right in my opionion and she says she is looking at bakery's in louisiana to start supplying it to her.....other than the bread problem she's got hot roast beef and gravy, shrimp, crawfish, oyster, catfish, grouper, blackened chicken and cheddar po' boys plus a whole lot more and serves up a good muffuletta as well (except there too she has to start importing in the bread).....when you ask the bakers here what the problem is with their bread they say its the water.....gives it a kind of gummy texture.

3. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

in Reserve the Texaco across from Reserve Christian on Airline has great PoBoys. Connies in Reserve on the River Road close to St Peter's Church also has great poboys.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its been a long time since I had a po boy in Baton Rouge with that kind of bread. I used to always buy Reisings po boy bread to make my own but they haven't sold Reisings here for years. I don't know if the bakery went out of business or what.

If the water in New Orleans is good for nothing else its great for making great po boy bread.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Are you going to change your avatar more often than Tirk? Are you aware that the day you changed your Belushi avatar is the day after John Belushi was given a star on the Walk of Fame?

6. Ectopic Tiger

Ectopic Tiger Founding Member

In Baton Rouge I used to go to Rocco's, George's, and Butcher Block on Lee.

7. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

The roast beef po-boys from the Library are still on my mind 25 years later :cry:

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I used to order the ham, salami and cheese poboys from the library.

9. bayareatiger

Along with a cold Falstaff on tap. Those truly were the days.

10. bayareatiger

Not a bad choice, but the roast beef would MELT IN YOUR MOUTH.

The BEST meat po-boy EVER.