Police shooting incident

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jetstorm, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I'm sure by now most of you have heard about the tragedy concerning Paul Nugent, a young man who was fatally shot by an Orleans Parish Sheriff's Deputy as he attempted to extract his car from an impound lot in New Orleans.

What is your take on this incident and on police and their procedures? There have been several high profile incidents of lethal force police shootings which have caused concern in the nation the last few years. What in your mind constitutes excessive force or justifies the use of lethal force? Do you tend to give the police or the suspects/victims the benefit of the doubt?

2. Guzzlingil

Guzzlingil Founding Member

How did this young man attempt to "extract" his car....was he carrying a weapon...I don't know the whole story at this point....

3. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I would have to say that there are cops who need thier behind whipped but just like all things this usually works itself out. However these jerks are in the very small minority. When a cop makes an attempt to keep law and order everyone knows basically what his procedures are the cop on the other hand does not know what the "perps" next move is. From a simple traffic stop to a major crime. Has to be pretty intense. Crime has changed in the last 20 years and it must be like a war zone out there for these guys.

So to get back on point,
    #1 the car was impuonded must have been at least one law broken to get it there,
    #2 the guy illeagally try's to "extract his vehicle another law broken
    #3 what is next and how determined was this guy to get his car.
    Initially have to side with the cop.

4. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

My understanding of the incident is that the recently deceased moron in question broke into the impound lot on Claiborne, took his car, and when confronted, attempted to run the officer down. The officer took the necessary steps to defend himself against a vehicle driven by an idiot hurtling towards him. Case closed.

5. Guzzlingil

Guzzlingil Founding Member

If that is the case.....the use of deadly force was justified...

6. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I believe that the driver was actually driving toward the lot attendant, not the deputy on duty. However that does not change anything.

7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

IMO, this guy got what he deserved if he indeed tried to run down anybody that works at the lot.

Let's put it this way....if somebody broke into my garage to steal my car, I would shoot until that person is deceased as well. I am not sure about Louisiana, but Texas laws are very friendly towards protecting your property as long as

a) they die inside or on your property
    b) they threatened you with bodily injury or property injury
    c) you do not reload your gun (this shows intent to commit murder vs. self defense)

Criminals must learn you reap what you sow...you do stupid crap, expect to pay the consequences.

8. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

That is correct. After I posted, I spoke to a friend of mine who is NOPD, and he clarified that for me. The deputy fired in defense of the attendant. As you said, it makes no difference.

9. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Sounds like the use of necessary force. There is really no lethal force definition anymore, except by the liberal public. The police use whatever force is deemed necessary to stop a perp from committing whatever illegal act he is engaged in. In this case, as described above, the police officer deemed it necessary to fire upon this perp as he was about to run down a lot attendant. The necessary force in this case was to discharge his firearm to protect the attendant.