Political Correctness

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, May 2, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So obviously there has been a lot of racial stories in the news lately. Racial tensions are high, it's part of the dialogue now in news cycles, sometimes to the point where it seems the media is just looking to throw race into the story. Granted a lot of the times they are correct to do so, but sometimes it seems like a reach or a move to add juice to the story.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/04/23/adam-sandler-western?cmpid=tp-ptnr-upworthy

A bunch of Native Americans recently walked off an Adam Sandler movie set because they were offended by the stereotypes in the movie. Now don't get me wrong, Native Americans had it worse than any race in this country IMO? Or maybe you could consider them lucky because they were pretty much just wiped out, instead of taken on a 200 plus year ride of discrimination, that can be argued I guess....

Here's my question though. Could a movie like Blazing Saddles be made today or has this country become too PC?

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

My only comment is that I am urging my daughters as strongly as I can to get a skill that will enable them to immigrate to Northern (non-Germany) Europe.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What about Australia?

4. LaSalleAve

Germany has a damn good economy right now. I've heard Denmark is a really nice place to live.

Answer the question though. could blazing saddles be made today?

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Could Amos and Andy or even Sanford and Son be made today?

6. LaSalleAve

I don't think so, i don't think blazing saddles could be made today either, hell, looney tunes today would be considered racist and offensive.

On the other hand it's strange that the one TV show family that isn't considered offensive anymore is the Simpsons. i guess its because they are the only TV family that goes to church anymore, except the Tyler Perry families that go every once in a while on their respective shows.

7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

To answer your question NO.

How about "The Little Rascals?" NO How about the Tarzan movies? NO

I used to love those Tarzan movies, especially when the "Natives" would split the safari guys by bending over two saplings.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Buckwheat would have been out of work. Tonto too. Ricardo Montalbon played an Indian in lots of movies. Today he wouldn't be well known enough to ge the Fantasy Island role.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Someone mentioned the other couple from the "Jeffersons" the other day and it got me to thinking; Shows like Sanford and Son surely had a racial overtone to it but it seems like it was more anti -white or making fun of the white race more so than putting down the black.

It sure makes you think for however many steps forward we have taken we at least have gone an equal amount back.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Fred hated Puerto Ricans too. And there was an episode where when he found out his dentist was black he kept hollering "I want a white dentist.". It turned out that the black dentist had gone to Johns Hopkins and the white one to something like Joe's College of Bartending and Denistry.

shane0911 likes this.