poll about intellectual property

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, Feb 14, 2012.

?

illegal file sharing

Poll closed Mar 5, 2012.
  1. stealing info from the internet, i love it

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. no way stealing is immoral, assclown

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  3. i steal but i feel kinda bad about it

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. martin

martin Banned Forever

mostly not the good ones.

plus i already pay the movie industry plenty of money, i go to movies at the theater every week. i steal a movie here and there, but i pay for them 90% of the time. if everyone consumes movies the way i do, the business will be fine. yunno, the categorical imperative.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

That's where we disagree. Take music for example. If you steal it and artists don't get paid, I think the industry as a whole gets hurt. i know you don't agree but if they can't eat, they're not going to write and perform music all the time which would prevent some really good music from being made.

Because morality is not determined by society but by ones individual beliefs. What you find to be moral, I may find to be amoral, and vice versa.

I appreciate that, it means a lot.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

music production costs basically nothing. and creativity costs nothing. and there is no such thing as a person in america who is sane who "cant eat".

again, savvy musicians give music away for free because they know the most important thing is distribution and exposure. they will make money if they are popular, whether through spotify or radio or performance or whatever.

if you had the talent to make really popular music that people would love and listen to you ad respect you, would you do it for free? of course you would.

that point i made is not true about video games or super high budget movies (generally the best movies are low budget), but it is unquestionably true about music. nobody will stop making and writing music because they are too poor. people simply enjoy making music, the same way they enjoy playing golf.

true enough, but society bases its laws on its morals, which will be agreeing with me soon enough. there is amorality lag when people are stupider than i am, but they will catch up.

4. mobius481

I agree that for most musicians giving music away makes good business sense for them. But they shouldn't be forced to give it away. And you're right, people don't go hungry because they quit doing things that don't make money and go find things that do make money, ie quit giving away music, and get a real job.

When you start your cult, can I be a part of it? :hihi:

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

To me, its not stealing if its not physical.

I've only made a copy to use for a short while..

However, with really good music, books, and movies, I always support them by purchasing their material.

I usually only download things I haven't paid for to try it to see if I like it....

I watch a lot of LSU games over the NET..

WILL NEVER FEEL BAD FOR IT. I also go 5 over the speed limit!!!!!

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

well, i think we need to start realizing that the artist that has their music stolen the most is probably the richest, not the poorest.

7. mobius481

There's no question. However, you're beginning to sound like Obama.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I buy used CDs ate Pawn Shops and rip the music from there. I will also steal, but if the music is good I try to buy it. If it's bad, I delete it. D/loading music is old stuff anyway. The majority of media d/loaded now are TV Shows.

9. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

This thread can potentially be an entrapment tactic. :hihi:

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I see it as comparable to turning on a tv or radio and it my antenna can pick it up over the airways...

It's like having an antenna booster, sorta.

And I know- if this ain't backwoods, coonass thinking at it's best...