poll about intellectual property

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, Feb 14, 2012.

?

illegal file sharing

Poll closed Mar 5, 2012.
  1. stealing info from the internet, i love it

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. no way stealing is immoral, assclown

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  3. i steal but i feel kinda bad about it

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Sounds like a job for Seal Team 6. :lol:

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

thats right. but i dont smoke pot, that stuff is illegal.

3. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

That is a long time indeed. I can't wait that long for my Whitney Houston music and I'm not paying Clive Davis or Bobbi Katrina for it!

Nevermind. I don't even want it anymore.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Do you speed?

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sometimes, . . . But I don't claim that speeding is morally right and legal just because I like to do it.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

criminal. no respect for anything. totally ignoring and disrepecting the law. your "me first" attitude is appalling. those speeding laws exist for a reason, jerk.

also, the reason i claim file sharing is ok isnt because i do it, but because, as stated many times, i think the net effect of the free flow of information is a better society. like if we had an infinite number of libraries and we all had access to way more information. that would be good.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Wow, just like speeding would be the free flow of traffic in a better society. Like, if we had an infinite number of lanes and we all could drive at the speed we want. That would be good.

Also impractical, dangerous, enormously expensive, self-indulgent, and utopian.

8. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

i generally follow my moral compass. sometimes its safer to speed by following the flow of traffic, and i do it. I do not follow laws if i do not agree with them and i can tolerate the punishment of getting caught.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
    Ayn Rand

The man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap.
    Ayn Rand

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i think it is notable that the score is tied, 11-11, thieves vs non thieves, and most of the thieves are unrepentant. i think this demonstrates a couple things.

obviously the results would be different if we were talking about stealing physical objects. this is so obvious as to barely be worth mentioning, but still some folks dont see the difference. also i suspect the stealers are the younger folks who understand things more clearly, and the poll would favor stealing even more if it were 2022.

so, given that half of us like to steal, ithink it would behoove the industry to continue to offer us cheap and easy media, like spotify and netflix, instead of trying to continue the broken models. and they will, provided we fight the good fight, and keep stealing as much as we can.

10. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Copying media has been socially acceptable since the advent of the taped recording. It made it easy for everyone to copy music, films. The dual cassette recorder and blank tapes were almost a license to copy. The industry and laws will not change people's attitudes toward copying.