poll about intellectual property

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, Feb 14, 2012.

?

illegal file sharing

Poll closed Mar 5, 2012.
  1. stealing info from the internet, i love it

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. no way stealing is immoral, assclown

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  3. i steal but i feel kinda bad about it

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. martin

martin Banned Forever

now we to the point where book publishers are becoming irrelevant. i have friends in the publishing industry, and they are screwed. downsizing all over the place.

the latest example is this stupid erotic nonsense book shades of grey. this woman wrote this with basically no help from any publishing house, no real editors, no marketing team, no nothing. she had no real hope of even selling more than a few copies. red would argue that she wouldnt have written a book at all under those circumstances, but she did. profit wasnt her motivation. and now, because technology is awesome, she has distributed a zillion copies of this book for free, without any real marketing. and even though anyone can definitely have this stupid book for free, she still makes money.

you could prosecute and chase pirates all you want, they dont care, you are wasting your money. artists will always find a way to make money, and pirates will always pirate.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And the freeloading pirates will be prosecuted when caught because they are stealing from creative people.

I can't believe your example is an amateur dimwit who leaves millions on the table because she decides to give intellectual property away. But it is her right to be foolish. Enjoy this free bounty.

However professional writers sell their work, as they always have, and those who steal from them are morally bankrupt criminals who deserve the fines and jail sentences they receive.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

even if we disagree and yu think freeloading pirates should be prosecuted, you are certainly aware that we are no actually prosecuted. its a waste of time. even the posters here, we love to steal and there are no ramifications, we will not be prosecuted.

and the example above is about a woman who is making plenty of profits, who didnt need the traditional gateways of a publisher and big marketing and copyright law to protect her.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

why waste taxpayer money prosecuting a dude for sharing 10 bucks worth of music on the internet. It's stupid. All it is is record companies and people with lots of money seeing their empires and their means of control on artists slipping away, and in order to stay relevant they have to call file sharing illegal.

5. red55

Stealing has always been illegal. Artists are free to sell their music or give it away. If you steal it, you are a thief.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

So you are a thief?

You can't sit here and tell me you never took Anything that wasn't yours....

Or read anything that wasn't yours, or watched anything that wasn't yours, or even listened to music that wasn't yours......

You'd be a deertay liar....

7. red55

I am not a thief.

Perhaps as a child I took one of your crayons in kindergarten. But as a responsible adult, I do not steal. Why do you?

Reading, watching and listening are all fair use. You can loan me a book or a CD or a DVD and I can watch it. This is not at issue.

The issue is stealing a book, a song, or a movie without paying it's creator. Once it is paid for anyone can use it. They just can't duplicate it.

And you'd be a fool for making assumptions without a single fact.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Thief

Dirty Thief..

"If you steal it, you are a thief."

Red55 - 2012

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Did you ask the creator if this is OK?

Or do you base all of your assumptions of the law?

Everyone one of us here, including you, have done illegal things. You are not above us.. Call me a thief, it makes me sad, really.. You'd still be not only lying to us, but to yourself.

Everyone steals, including the US government. You are in fact, a part of the thieving of FREEDOM to have access to free information. I can recreate as I choose, not because law can/cannot dictate this, but because I am of free will. I can re-sing your words from your song. I can rewrite your words from your book. I can recode your program. Why? because its my life and this so called loyalty you think we owe to anyone other than are selves is a selfish lie.

We as a nation of so called laws was built on taking what we phucking wanted. Pure and simple.

Its human nature.

10. red55

Uhhhh, it is a legal issue and a legal question. The law is clear.

Are you seriously trying to say that stealing is OK because some people steal? :D

So stealing is now "re-creation"?

You are soooooo confused. Try to understand. It is not about reading or singing. Everyone can sing or read anything, anytime, anywhere. The issue is about stealing a book or a recording. Is it possible that you can't understand the difference?

Who said anything about loyalty? It's about the legality of taking something that is not yours and depriving the creator of his income? Do you work for free? Come build me a free house, OK.

Your ignorance of history and the law is not my problem.