poll rankings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Richdog, Mar 19, 2011.

?

Where would you rather LSU be ranked to open a season?

1. #1 with target on our back?

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Anywhere else...underdogs or not respected

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
  1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

It worked out for them this time, but it didn't in 2004. Sometimes just win isn't enough.

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Thus my analogy of starting gates and the SEC. We do play each other and no preseason poll will protect anyone on Saturdays.

You know, Secretariat was one big RED horse?

3. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I always want LSU to be ranked as high as possible. Why would you ever want to be ranked lower? So you don't have a target on your back? That is essentially saying that your hoping other teams under estimate LSU and don't play their best game. That is loser mentality. I sure hope none of our athletes think that way. I would hope that every team leaves it all on the field and LSU wins because they are better.

I do agree that pre/early season polls are a very bad indicator of talent level. However, if they are going to publish them, I want LSU to be ranked as high as possible.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This.

5. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Exactly. Of course, that will never happen for TV reasons. I wouldn't mind if they had rankings that early as long as it was made clear that they would carry no weight at that point.

6. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I don’t want the number one ranking, I want our men to earn that position over the course of the season. I just hope that our players are watching, listening, and reading all the crap about what they can’t and won’t be able to accomplish this season.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Les is that you?

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

this is about lsu. where people want LSU ranked. not other teams. :rolleye33:

9. *LSUTiger*

*LSUTiger* LSU/CLEMSON

Top 10, and work our way to the number one spot!!! I dont really like being ranked high at the beginning of the season...

10. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

LSU didn't last very long at #1 during the 2007 season (both times), just sayin. What matters is that we are in the top 2 in the final BCS standings. Everyone's out to get you when you're #1, because players and fans remember beating a #1 ranked team, not a #2 or #3 ranked team. It sounds good to start off #1 but realistically, it's very tough to run the table in the SEC with that target on your back.

We don't need to worry about starting high just in case we lose because if you are a 1 loss team and SEC Champions, that speaks for itself. We jumped from #7 to #2 in the final week of the 2007 season, not because we were ranked in the beginning, but because of our track record that season. What we did on the field put us in the title game.