Poll: Renewing with Tulane, the board's feelings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jetstorm, May 19, 2005.

?

How do you feel about LSU and Tulane renewing the football series?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2005.
  1. I approve. It's a win/win for all involved. Bring back the rivalry!

41 vote(s)
    50.6%
  2. I approve, but we gave away the store. Bad deal.

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. I disapprove. Tulane has no business being on our schedule.

22 vote(s)
    27.2%
  4. I don't really care that much either way. It's just another game.

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Just want to gauge the pulse of TigerForums on this.

2. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Win/Win for everyone.

3. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

Agreed. Rather have A&M, but since that ain't happening, this works. Plus keep the money here.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'm like Patin's duck. Don't give a quack.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

None of the above.

I approve only because Skip thinks it is an ok deal and if it does help us schedule some good teams like he said it will. We didn't give away the store, so that shouldn't be one of the options IMO.

Therefore I won't know how I feel about it until we see some more future opponents.

6. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

I think it should've been a two for one but with all things said and done, would rather play the weenies than New Mexico St or UTEP or W Carolina. Plus, it will be a good thing for them to see how real football is played once every year since you don't get tthat kind of thing in the CUSA. and besides matlock what else does the older generation have to look fwd to. they'll love this. But on a serious note, it can only help recruiting in the N.O. area.

:helmet: - Nick + Les = :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: , Les equals more!!!!!!

7. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

LSU is guaranteed 1.6 million every time we travel there. Pretty good revenue for an away guarantee. I personally think the typical Tulane fan is arrogant but who really cares about them. It is a good deal and if it falls favorably in the schedule the ease of traveling coupled with the level of competition could be a welcomed relief. I think the games are going to be scheduled late in the season (read heat of SEC battle) and might be a welcomed non-conference break.
    just my $.02

8. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

I'm confused by Skip's comments though:

"Our next step in the scheduling process is to address the 12th game on our schedule," Bertman said. "Because of the ticket sharing plan in the Superdome, this long-term agreement with Tulane does not preclude us in coming years from pursuing other attractive intersectional games."

I thought we were using the 12th game to schedule Tulane?

9. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

If there was an "other" option, I'd have chosen it.

Overall, I think the idea stinks for many of the reasons cited here. However, LSU has been burned repeatedly in recent years by non-conference opponents big (Va Tech) and small (U of Houston), causing LSU to have to scramble to reset a previously finalized schedule.

We all know how badly Tulane wants to play LSU in a home and home, so the chances of them backing out on the deal are zero. Also, the way the deal is structured gives LSU a better situation financially when playing the "away" games than they would otherwise under any other home and away series scenario.

In a watered down C-USA, playing LSU annually can be a small but useful recruiting draw for Tulane. Hey, if LSU has to play them, I want the Greenies to be as good in their conference as possible.

Besides, it's better than playing a Div 1-AA team.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

This was in the works before the NCAA recently approved a 12th game. The Tulane series was going to happen whether we play 11 or 12 games.