Poll: Renewing with Tulane, the board's feelings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jetstorm, May 19, 2005.

?

How do you feel about LSU and Tulane renewing the football series?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2005.
  1. I approve. It's a win/win for all involved. Bring back the rivalry!

41 vote(s)
    50.6%
  2. I approve, but we gave away the store. Bad deal.

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. I disapprove. Tulane has no business being on our schedule.

22 vote(s)
    27.2%
  4. I don't really care that much either way. It's just another game.

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I think it is a good idea.

Some such as Dandy Don don't like giving Tulane's football program life support. "I do not believe that LSU has anything to gain by playing Tulane each season for the next 10 years, and according to the emails I received Wednesday after the announcement was made, most Tiger fans agree. The Tulane football program has been struggling the last few years and they were considering giving up football two years ago."

If all the teams we love to beat gave up football who would we play? LSU should never be beaten by Tulane. Only incompetance by the LSU administration for too many years allowed Tulane to embarass us a few times. Saban had it right.

2. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I love this deal because it helps the state and city money wise and is a great recruiting tool for LSU. I don't think we lack New Orleans recruiting whatsoever but this can't hurt.

I do think it could hurt us as any close game is a moral win for Toolame and out of 10 years....one upset would sting

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Louisiana-Lafayette
    Tulane
    Northern Illinois
    Arizona

Louisiana Tech
    Tulane
    Southern Miss
    Virginia Tech

Arizone St.
    Tulane

Who should we add for 2008? are there any rumors? Is the Louisiana Hayride tour over or do we get ULM again?

4. Fightin4LSU

Fightin4LSU Founding Member

Alot of you are thinking about this too much. So what what kinda money is involved in this deal. As a Tiger fan who lived in South Louisiana his whole life, i'd love to see the Tigers smack the Greenies around up and down the bayouland for the next 10 years. I don't care what the under the table details are, that's only for Skip to worry about.

5. Carface

Carface What the...?

I love the idea of playing the green faries, but the home and home thing isn't good. Their stadium won't be able to adequately hold all the fans that are going to want to go.

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Loco,

My understanding from some folks up in north Louisiana is ULM is on the schedule for 2008 in Tiger Stadium, but the date is not yet finalized.

I don't get Dandy Don's opposition; he almost sounds threatened by Tulane. Why? We should win 9 out of 10, seven at the absolute worst. And Tulane is gonna make it in 1-A with or without LSU coming to the Superdome; they have the attendance. As for this, "They almost lost football two years ago," please. Their football team was never in any real danger; it was a ploy by their Athletic Dept. and Board of Trustess to put a scare into some of their wayward fans to give more support and money to the program (and it looks like Wave fans got the message, although their attendance is still not what it should be). They got the idea from Houston, and last year Rice pulled the same stunt with a "comprehensive review of the football program." And unless a school does the review and actually follows through with dropping football, I don't think that trick is gonna work again. You can only cry "Wolf!" so many times before you start getting ignored.

So, Dandy Don is against playing Tulane and any other program in the state of Louisiana. Just who would he rather play? You are not gonna see too many more home-n-home deals with big BCS equals like Virginia Tech even with the 12 game schedule, and I am tired of cancellations from MAC schools forcing games like Appalachian State and Citadel onto the schedule.

Again, who are you gonna play? What better games are out there? Asking, seriously.

7. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I think the Dome will be fine.

I doubt the demand is so large that it will be at a ridiculous level, ala Sugar Bowl.

8. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

I am looking forward to a few more 62 to 0 games in LSU's future when it comes to LSU Fighting Tigers versus the Tulane Green Wave.

Tulane is our REAL, ACTUAL rival.

9. PGTiger

PGTiger Founding Member

Love the idea...
    Just another "W" on our way to another National Championship. :geauxtige

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I like the idea. It's good for the state and for LSU.

Michigan and Michigan State play nearly all of the other state schools, and I know that we do the same--albeit on a rotating basis, but I'm a traditionalist. From the uniforms to the opponent.

It's a rivalry and it's great that we brought back "The Rag"!!!!