poll: which big man will eventually have a bigger NBA impact?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by martin, Jan 30, 2005.

?

more nba potential?

1. brandon bass

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. glen davis

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  1. martin

martin Banned Forever

we are pretty evenly divided on this important issue.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

i never woulda thought when i made this poll a year ago that there would be another lsu player (thomas) alread making more news with his upside than these two.

3. clair

clair Rockets

It is hard to recover when you don't play your 1st year...

So for that, I will say Davis, b/c most big men either dominate early or don't dominate...

But Bass has some upside...

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Re: which big man will eventually have a bigger NBA impact?

He does need to shed some pounds. Davis would be so much more effective if he lost 15-30 lbs.

5. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

I don't see big baby on the wing. I could see Bass out there. These guys aren’t big man there just forwards. They will both never be great and like Swift maybe a 6th man one day but nothing more.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

You're probably right (this is painful to say). Neither is tall enough to be a true big man in the NBA. I think Big Baby could be, but he'd have to shed a good bit of weight and I don't know if he's got it in his genes to stay that light.

7. TigerNtz

TigerNtz Ridley

I think that Brandon Bass has greater potential than Big Baby. Glen Davis' only advantage is his quickness, and he won't have that in the NBA.
    (Actually I don't think that either will have that great of potential :bncry: )

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Bass probably. Davis is still playing too heavy. Charles Barkey was a fat boy phenomenon in college, too. But he slimmed down considerably to step up to NBA All-Star level.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I will actually say Big Baby, and be somewhat of a contrarian. Bass was a great player, and if he had stayed in college, I think he would have been a first round pick. Bass was really a 6'7-ish player, and in the NBA, he was going to have to play SF. In order to play that spot successfully, Bass needs to develop a slash to the basket (i.e., more handling skills), more mobility and outside shot. His outright athleticism and strength helped him dominate in college at PF, but in the pros, he's a tad small. I do think he's a good shooter (this shows in his 3 pt shooting and FT shooting in college) and jumper, but I think unfortunately, his riding the bench now, isn't giving him the PT to develop these skills.

Big Baby is a legit 6'9", and even though people "knock" him for his lack of jumping ability, his girth makes him an effective rebounder. He's also got a pretty decent low post game with a nice 15 footer, so I think Baby's got more potential at the PF spot. I think Baby also is a lot smarter than Bass and will stay in school as long as it takes to be a first rounder (and I think he's a legit first rounder after one more year), AND, if you listen to Brady and Baby, I think Baby's ideal playing weight is sub 300, at around 290-295 (I don't know if going lower is going to help his athleticism that much, but it might). He's going to participate in off season work to lose the extra 15 pounds--which will make him slightly quicker and help the fatigue factor. I think of a guy like Udonis Haslem for UF (da' Meat Hook), who played as a "chubby" center for FL (at around 6'8" and 280ish), who is now a chiseled rebounding monster for the Heat. Baby is a taller, more skilled version. I don't think he'll ever be "chiseled" but he can really dominate in college next season, with a few more pounds shed. Being a first round draft pick makes a big difference. He'll get more PT for a team and develop more.

My two cents... :geauxtige

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

this is an old thread (January 2005). but both guys are doing really well, better than we could have hoped i think.

brandon bass will probably start next to dwight howard next year. he has signed a 4 year deal with orlando for 18 million. congrats, bro.

big baby has signed a 2 year extension with the celtics, and of course has become a household name, with his playoff perfomance and oversized personality.

keep on truckin, fellas.