Pope’s Pedophilia Adviser’s Priest Arrested For Pedophilia

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by tirk, Jun 3, 2011.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

There has been nothing to link the Pope to the sex abuse scandal. There have been attempts, but those have all been thoroughly destroyed by fact.

The cover up is largely overblown. The facts are that 2/3 of the allegations for the period from 1950 to 1985 were made between 1993 and 2003. By that time half the priests accused were either dead, and another 25 percent were out of ministry. In many cases statutes of limitations had passed and criminal proceedings could not be opened.

Of the third of allegations that were made timely in relation to the incident the vast majority of the cases occurred in the sixties and seventies when the prevailing psychology was that ephebophilia, which is sexual attraction to post pubescent children could be cured with counseling. In the early 80s the psychology shifted and that is when defrocking of priests with substantiated allegations began.

Every report has shown that the problem is no larger than what is seen in public schools, protestant churches, the Boy Scouts, or any other institution where a lot of contact with kids is common. The fact is abuse within the church occurs at a much lower percentage than in the general population.

Your assumptions are not facts.

That is the narrative, but it is simply not true. The re-assigning business did occur in some areas, but it occurred during a time when it was believed these deviants could be cured.

After reading the Jaye report I don't think the problem is as pervasive as it is portrayed. Surely, grave mistakes were made in the handling of some allegations, and tremendous wrong doing has occurred, but the evidence does not support a massive cover up, and external organizations the monitor these types of things have not labeled the Church as being of any degree of higher risk. Institutions that deal with children in a large capacity purchase insurance policies against the liabilities associated with abuse at the hands of clergy, volunteers, and staff, and the premiums paid by Catholic churches are no higher than those paid by the Boy Scouts.

2. LSUsupaFan

According to the Jaye report this size of the problem is consistent with the problems of Protestant churches, and the boy scouts. Abuse also occurs at a smaller rate than in the general population, and at a much smaller rate than in public schools.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'd like to see an independent report that says this. Can you offer a source? I don't believe this is true. The internal Catholic reports have no credibility, sir.

Your assumptions are not facts.

The Jay Report was commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, based on surveys completed by the Roman Catholic dioceses in the United States.

Who says? The predator problem in the Catholic priesthood dwarfs those of public schools, club sports, and scouts from what I've heard. If you have numbers that dispute this, I'd like to see them.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not Catholics, just the Catholic priesthood. I do not hold lay Catholics responsible for this problem.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

certainly doesnt look rampant to me; just one big smear campaign.

do you know what percentage of these cases are actually reported? by children of the same sex raped by a person of authority?

very small amount will ever come forward which means the numbers are much higher across the board. who knows what the multiplier is.

but its reassuring things are ok because you think it falls within your usual pedophilia bell-curve.

these 'discounted' reports took about 2 minutes to find and 3 minutes to paste (only b/c brett cant install a ****ing multiquote) and come from all over the globe. im sure theres nothing to it.

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

There are only three people we let our boy stay with alone and it's all close family. My parents, her parents and sister. We watch him like a hawk. We try so hard. Stories like this make us even more security minded. A parent has to use their head and instincts to protect their child. The child comes first,not what the parent wants to do that's easy but what is the best for the child even if it's hard.

7. LSUsupaFan

Most of what you have pasted here are the discounted reports I was discussing. But the point is not that there has not been a lot of wrong done. That is obvious. It is that the cover up and conspiracy theories that don't hold water.

BBC Documentary Sex and the Vatican alleges that the "secret document" Crimen Sollicitationis is written instructing bishops on how to cover up child sex abuse, but this is a lie. The document instructs bishops on how to deal with priests who solicit sex in the confessional booth, and the purpose is not to cover for the priest, but to ensure the investigation is conducted without breaking the seal of the confessional. The threat of excommunication is not against those who speak out about the solicitations, but those who try to hamper the investigations.

The Murphy case has not been properly represented and their are a number of good explanations that explain it much better than the New York Times expose on the case.

A Response to the New York Times - By Fr. Raymond J. de Souza - The Corner - National Review Online

Catholic Culture : On The News : The Pope and the Murphy case: what the New York Times story didn't tell you

America Magazine In All Things