Pope: How Could God 'Tolerate' Holocaust?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, May 28, 2006.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

red do you realize that not everything a Pope does or says is infallible? Popes can be wrong on many points, even theological ones. Infallibility simply prevents a Pope from teaching error as truth.

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I guess.

See, you are missing the point. Religions require certain rituals to be practiced in order to gain favor. Conversely, they also ban certain items as unclean.

[/FONT]
    The Old Testament wasn't denounced. The Law existed to point people to Christ. Jesus is better!

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

as an onlooker, I suggest stating your position instead of continually quoting scriptures, etc which only confuses the situation. no filibustering please. I have cspan.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well I had to look up "phylacteries" and "Gehenna", but I see where you are coming from. Still I counted about three "rules" in there.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

my doctor said i had something like gohnahenna once and it was infecting my phylacteries. luckily, a lil penicillin knocked it right out.

6. LSUDeek

In my defense, he did ask for it. The whole of Matt 23 pretty much sums up what Christ thought of religion. Sabbath ovens? Give me a break.

The law was given to men by God, but the law was administered wrongly by men. It became in vogue to teach the law out of a sense of obligation rather than in obedience to God.

The chapter is not a statement of rules but a condemnation of those in authority (the teachers of the law) at the time.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The verses quoted by Deek don't show Christ's feelings on religion in general, but rather on religious hypocricy. He is saying not to do things for men to see, but to do things that bring you closer to God. He is not saying that rules and regulations are bad in and of themelves.

8. col reb

col reb Founding Member

Satan was God's "second in command." He was the most beautiful of all angels. He was second in powers. Wasn't good enough for him. The Bible says he is the "prince of darkness" even in today's time. All things good come from God but Satan has much power still. If Katrina caused anyone to question God, Satan is smiling. The Bible says they all men who call on the name of the Lord will be know by His name.....Christians.

Let's face it. When a large group of people read a book of the Bible, you often get several different viewpoints. God often reveals different things to different people. That is how denominations begin.

The Bible says to study to show thyself approved. Yet there is no way anyone can really get deeply into so many of today's denominations. It would simply be too time consuming. But one should study and carefully choose which one best fits into one's personal beliefs.

For example......I am not Catholic. Before anyone gets started---do I believe there will be Catholics in Heaven? Without a doubt. I don't believe any denomination is absolutely perfect. We will not be Catholic, Pentacostal, or Baptist, just Christian brothers and sisters.

Correct me if you will, but my studies show this about the Catholic faith:

300 AD-----the church introduced prayers for the dead
    300 AD-----making the sign of the cross started
    375 AD-----worship of saints and angels began
    394 AD-----mass first instituted
    431 AD-----worship of Mary began
    500 AD-----priests began dressing differently from other people
    526 AD-----Extreme unction began. Annointing of people who are about to die.
    593 AD-----doctrine of purgatory introduced
    600 AD-----worship services began to be conducted in Latin
    600 AD-----prayers began being directed to Mary
    607 AD-----Boniface III became the first pope
    709 AD-----people began kissing the pope's feet
    786 AD-----worship of images and relics began
    850 AD-----use of "Holy Water" began
    995 AD-----canonization of dead saints
    998 AD-----fasting on Fridays and Lent began
    1079 AD----celibacy of the priesthood started
    1090 AD----the use of prayer beads began
    1190 AD----sale of indulgencies
    1215 AD----transubstantiation
    1220 AD----adoration of the wafer (host)
    1229 AD----Bible forbidden for lay people
    14?? AD----cup forbidden to people at communion
    1439 AD----doctrine of purgatory decreed
    1439 AD----doctrine of seven sacriments affirmed
    1508 AD----the Ave Maria approved
    15?? AD----jesuit order founded
    1546 AD----apocryphal books put in Bible
    1854 AD----Immaculate conception of Mary
    1864 AD----syllabus of errors proclaimed
    1870 AD----infallibility of pope declared
    1930 AD----public schools condemned
    1950 AD----assumption of the virgin Mary
    1965 AD----Mary proclaimed mother of the church

I understand the Catholics have these extra books in the Bible. I don't know. Are they right? I don't know. I just have to make up my mind, not change yours.

I have Pentacostal friends who believe that you cannot enter the kindom of Heaven if you never experience the gift of talking in tongues (unknown) It is Biblical but the Bible says it is a lesser gift.

My Baptist friends sometimes fall into the self destructive belief that "if I go out Sat. night, get drunk, and commit adultry, all I have to do is ask God for forgiveness the next day. Kind of true. We can be forgiven for anything except blasphmy of the Holy Spirit. However, we also believe God to be Omni-knowledgeable. So, He knows if you really are asking for forgiveness or just trying to cover all your bases. When you say you are sorry and ask for forgiveness, that means you really do not plan to do that again. If you ask for forgiveness and go right back next weekend, you were not really sorry and God knows it. IMHO

I think everyone has to decide what they will or will not believe. The Bible says that many will not accept. And many who call themselves by His name will not enter the kingdom of Heaven. Every man will answer for himself. I know I have enough trouble with myself. I certainly don't need to try to put down on others who may have different views.

I know some will ask "what if Budda or Alluh" turns out to be the true God? Well, I will have made my choice anyways won't I.:)

9. LSUDeek

Just to cut him off at the pass, Supa argues that all of those institutions were in place before they were made official by the Church through bulls and councils and whatever else. I've already brought some of these up in the past.

10. col reb

col reb Founding Member

That's why I stated that they use a Bible different from the King James, which is the version I accept. From what I have studied, the common man was forbidden to own a Bible. When they were finally allowed to own one, there were extra verses than from what was remembered. Add ons?

Sorry. Did not know you had previously posted this.