Pope quits...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Swerved, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He sounds like a sensible fellow. If you have an important job and can't do it well anymore, it is good for everybody to step down. Even if still capable, there comes a day when you've had enough.

3. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Said it had something to do with the Notre Dame game, but still way too painful to discuss.

Tiger in NC and stevescookin like this.
  4. martin

martin Banned Forever

literally not one job on earth i can think of that is less important. being a wizard isnt a real thing. the janitor at your office accomplishes more.

guess it wears a fellow out when your employees just cant stop banging little boys

Tiger in NC likes this.
  5. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Don't disagree there. I wish some of our older politicians would do the same.

I did read that there were some fears that it would destabilize the Catholic church seeing as this isn't something that has happened in many many years (since 1294).. Personally, it's not a big concern of mine since I'm not the most religious of folks, much less Catholic, but I do find it all interesting.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Seems like this is something that will become more common. Popes traditionally haven't resigned because they haven't outlived their faculties. Benedict saw that he was doing that and stepped down.

I think he served his role well in that he was a good bridge between JP II and the next Pope. He held the traditional Church teachings in changing world, and appointed Cardinals that were also conservative in the sense of he and JP II. Our next Pope will probably be German, Polish, or French, and will be conservative. There are a few African and Latin conservatives that will also be in the running. There hasn't been an African Pope in 1500 years, so that would be kinda neat.

stevescookin likes this.
  7. martin

martin Banned Forever

an african or latin pope would be more appropriate, since white people arent dumb enough to really continue to be catholic for much longer. catholics are dwindling in western europe, and picking up steam with the savages in undeveloped nations.

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

JPII probably should have stepped down. He was way worse off than Benedict.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

yeah i bet he was derelict in his very important duties

10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Beyond the duties that you make fun of, other duties like walking and standing upright were a challenge to him in the end.