Porter to Transfer Will Not Gray shirt

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bayou Tiger, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

2theadvocate.com | Tiger Tracks | OL Porter gets release — Baton Rouge, LA

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

re: Porter to Transfer Will Not Gray shirt

We sure can't keep offensive linemen around very long, it seems.:dis:

What's the tally for the last three or four years?....I'm bummed out about this and I feel bad for Porter. when did the rule preventing our early enrolees go into effect? Was it after Porter committed or before? Was it in effect when we signed two over the limit?

Lots of questions here !!

I'm puzzled...:huh:

3. IL. TigerFan

IL. TigerFan Founding Member

Archbishop Shaw High School lineman Elliott Porter, who earlier today was given a release from his LSU letter-of-intent, is now undecided about his future.

Porter and his parents met with Tigers coach Les Miles on Tuesday. During that meeting, Miles told Porter that he wanted him to greyshirt and enroll in school next January. Following the meeting, Porter intended to look at other options.

Coaches from numerous schools made calls about Porter's availability. According to people close to Porter, it's now about a 50-50 chance that he will take the greyshirt. Porter may wait until Thursday before making a final decision.

Since all 27 signees qualified, two of those individuals cannot enroll this month on scholarship. Miles wanted Porter to greyshirt.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Hold that, it seems it's not so "official" yet, as behelm pointed out in the attrition thread and IL. TigerFan in this one.

IL. TigerFan, you may want to edit out that pay site info but just a suggestion, not my business. :thumb:

5. IL. TigerFan

IL. TigerFan Founding Member

Thanks!! :thumb:

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

24th best guard prospect in the nation on a team that had an offensive line that absolutely sucked last year. Seems like we could use him. The attrition on the OL has been horrible.

7. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, I agree. I posted the following question on EPorters thread and will again here in hopes bhelm, or someone else, can elaborate:

so, bhelm, why porter? i mean, it seems OL is a serious place of need and depth since turnover is high there. why not an athlete, or WR, or DB, or a punter? do they have some sort of "draft" list where the players are ranked and he happens to be #85? or is it also based on academic concerns, or ability to pay own way, ability to qualify for other schollies (TOPS, academic, etc)?

8. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Probably has to do with the way the positions are substituted. There are all sorts of ways for athletes and WRs to get on the field(special teams), but if you are #6-8 as a sophmore for your position @ guard, with a sophomore or junior in front of you, chances are against you breaking into the lineup. Barring injury, I would imagine it is hard to develop.

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

The problem with that theory is Porter is a true freshmen at a position of serious need and a highly rated prospect. With the attrition we are seeing at OL he could easily be a starter as a red shirt sophomore. LSU is loaded with athletes and short on OL.

10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Well I didn't mean it fit him specifically. Each recruits' reasons could vary greatly and his probably does. I just gave it as a reason why an OLineman would transfer before an athlete, in general.