Porter to Transfer Will Not Gray shirt

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bayou Tiger, Aug 3, 2010.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

re: Porter to Transfer Will Not Gray shirt

I agree with your in general assessment, but the LSU OL has been very sub par and attrition there has been incredible IMO. Unless there is something else going on that those of us on the outside can't see it seems like a strange move given the need for OL and the trouble keeping them.

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

That makes me look at the OL coach. Stud was supposed to be an upgrade, but his luster has worn off as fast as Gary's.

3. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I was hoping that Stud would be one of the changes made after last season. Actually, he was the biggest one.

4. TwistedTiger

He was my first choice by far to be let go. I was a huge surprise to see him kept on staff. The OL was a total disaster last season.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

OL are usually the 1st to get offered greyshirts because they take the longest to develop especially when making a switch from DT in HS to OL in college and he wasn't expected to contribute this year and take a redshirt. Plus he is an in-state guy so the tuition is cheaper than it is for an OOS guy if they choose to pay their own way for a semester.

6. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

LSU has 10 scholarship offensive linemen plus 3 walk-ons and 4 more recruits coming in next year. We are not dangerously thin at OL.

7. TwistedTiger

You must have missed last season. LSU has very few proven SEC caliber OL. For every recruit that makes it there are 2-3 busts. We need every quality OL recruit we can get our hands on.

8. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Yes.. but that's because our depth at OL was freshman/sophs last year. They're all a year older now. Our depth at OL is fine atm and it continues to get better with a monster haul on the lines for this current class.

9. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

That's not what you said. You said that we were short at OL, as in no depth. We are deep enough to grayshirt our youngest and greenest OL. He wasn't going to help us this year.

10. TwistedTiger

Other than Hebert the 2nd OL is still all Fr and Soph, but that's not the point. The last 2 years LSU has had a hard time finding 5 starting SEC quality linemen, much less reserves to back them up. The odds of finding a quality starting 5 goes down as more quality recruits leave. Porter may never have become a starter, but his leaving doesn't increase the chances of finding that high quality starting 5. Attrition on the OL HAS been a problem. I'd rather take a scholarship from a kicker or punter than a highly recruited OL until the OL improves greatly.