Possible OC For Next Year???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TCUTiger, Oct 22, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Does Jordan have some kind of lubricant on his hands? Reason I ask is because other than the 3rd down on the last drive, it seems Toliver catches everything Lee throws even the bad passes, and nothing Jefferson throws, even the good throws.

Has Toliver quit on Jordan Jefferson?

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I think it is the shock of finally having the ball hit them in the hands on his one good pass out of 100.

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

I don't know, it's getting pretty bad. Not to be an alarmist, but from what I hear programs will get cut left and right in the next calendar year. Something like 40% of the faculty is getting bought out, kind of hard to justify a 800k assistant coach hire if the proposed budget cuts go down. I know the athletic department is privatized, but from a PR standpoint it'd be a nightmare. There would be quite an outcry if that were to happen while half the faculty got laid off. I mean it's already been rumored that budget concerns are the only reason Crowton is still around, so it's not a stretch to think the same budget concerns will hinder a possible search for a new OC.

On the other hand, giving an assistant who's already on the payroll a slight raise would go over much smoother.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'm going to be brutally honest here, and I say this as a Ph.D. student at LSU who has been closely following LsU's budget situation and the immense problems with state funding. I don't think your average fan or La. resident really cares about what happens to faculty or programs when compared against LSU football in terms of importance. These severe funding problems have existed since 2008, and aside from the outrage of a handful of university employees, professors and students the general feeling in this state seems to be apathy. People will only start caring when the academic budget cuts start to directly affect LSU's ability to recruit top talent. To that end I don't think paying an assistant coach 6 figures while the HC will collect 8 is going to matter a hill of beans to them. If we were talking about, say, firing Les on the spot or after this season, I would completely agree with your PR point, but not an assistant.

5. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

From what I hear, it will affect our recruiting, at least to some degree. There are programs getting cut that are usually the type that we filter our athletes into. It's a ****ty system, but essentially certain programs exist in order to place certain athletes in there so they can stay afloat. A lot of these programs are on the chopping block. So not having a certain major may prevent us from getting a signee or two down the road, you never know.

My priorities are as screwed up as the next LSU grad, I didn't care much about school when I was a student there, but at some point we have to recognize that it's going to be bad for the football team if the university starts gutting itself from within.

6. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

All the more reason to hire someone like Dodge. I think he only made 400K
    as a HC at UNT. He also brings a HUGE recruiting edge for Texas and especially the DFW metroplex.

As for all the staff cuts at LSU I guess the professors teaching 1 class per week and 3 hours of office time are finally getting the axe.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

It goes so much further than that, it's affecting every aspect of the university's mission, and with a doubling of mid-year cuts, things are going to get a lot worse, and I don't think people have any true idea of how bad LSU will be hurt by this. There's literally no fat left to trim, unless you count administrators. Frankly I think they're overpaid, but they're paid market value. They can, will, and are finding better employment elsewhere, leaving us with lower-quality people. All the gains LSU has made academically in the last 6-7 years will be wiped out and may take decades to recover from.

8. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

TT just doesn't seem to have his head in the game consistently. I don't know if it's a lack of focus, or what. The point you make does seem plausible though. He seems to perk up when Lee is in the game.

:geauxtige

9. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Chad Morris, Ass. Head Coach, OC, QBs at Tulsa
    Known as a QB guru.
    Justin Fuente, Co-OC, QBs at TCU.
    Kenny Edenfield, OC, Inside WRs. at Troy
    Previous to Troy he was at North Alabama where his offenses broke records. From Clinton, LA.
    Dana Holgorsen, OC at Okla. St. Hal Mumme/Mike Leach protege.

10. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but our passing game has really sucked big time this year as our receivers are still dropping passes. Billy G doesn’t deserve a shot to be OC, but who knows, Less Miles was stupid enough to hire Crowton of all people, he may be stupid enough to make Billy G OC.