post-game analysis

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Jun 3, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Dispite giving up 4 runs right off the bat, and Meier getting right behind the 8-ball quickly, I didn't think he pitched all that poorly.

Marist had a pretty solid hit total, but most of their damage came by them running the bases really well. And that's their game. They aren't going to out-slug anyone, but they manufactured some of their runs. Their speed really seemed to put pressure on our fielders early on, but then as the game progressed, we started settling down and I think our bullpen did a great job.

Offensively...WOW! You can't really be overly critical when an offense slugs out 4 homeruns and puts up 11 runs in three innings, but I will just say that I thought we didn't make Trazc work as hard as we possibly could have in the early innings. Eventually, we got to him, but I think a few of our hitters were rushing through their AB's.

We only struck out twice, so that is a positive all to itself.

Overall, I thought we played like a #1 seed should (but that was innings 3-9) and we played in a manner that had some of us really worrying (innings 1-3). But, it's amazing what 11 unanswered and 4 bombs and "lights out" pitching from the bullpen can do to your confidence. Even if Marist isn't as polished of a club as Rice, this game has me feeling dominant once again!

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Couldn't have said it better, really. I like our chances after this game--and that's my honest feeling. Before this game, I had reservations as to how I felt about our chances. I really hoped that we'd turn the "proverbial switch," but there was a little voice in my head telling me not to get too excited because I'd just be setting myself up for failure. I'm not going to lie about it, I had doubts about this team. Honestly, who didn't? Today was like a brand new season, and I like the way we're playing, baby! Bring on Tulane, ULL, Bama.... the Yankees, who cares, I'm confident! Meier had some WICKED pitches going on today, once he works on getting his "strike out pitch" back, watch out, because I don't think Smith or Dirks will having anything on him. In all, I liked our pitching today. Ramirez did well, as did English and Determann. I always had (and always will have) hope in my Tigers, but now I have some hard evidence to rest my feelings upon... GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Today's game will give us a much better idea as Rice will be much deeper on the mound. We had a hard time getting solid hits off of the starter yesterday, blasted their relievers. Rice has a deep staff.

I expect our next 2 pitchers to have great games. Meier I still don't have any confidence in as a starter. I am guessing in a Super that Lane becomes the 3rd starter.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

10 hits in 5 2/3 innings off Tracz doesn't sound like a struggle to me. Our problem, as it has been all year, is getting the timely and big hits. We did that again yesterday until Mayer went yard. Then the floodgates opened on their relievers.

Today is definately the money game. You do not want to lose and fall into the loser's bracket ... you'll have to win 3 games versus 1 game. I expect Smoke to start Smith and Determann will be ready to go. A must win game today.

Should we get there, I expect Smith and Dirks will start games 1 and 2. Hopefully, we won't have to play a game 3.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

And I believe Rice's bullpen didn't use a single pitcher in last night's win. I think they're starter got the CG didn't he?

6. swoop

swoop Founding Member

7. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Looking at their stats, Savery may be their 'ace' because of his ERA, but he is the guy I'd like to face the most. Opponents bat .220 and .190 against the other guys, but Savery is allowing about a .240 average.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Me! :thumb:

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

But, you don't count, everyone knows that! :grin:

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Learn to relax. You'll live longer. :wink: