Posts That Have Gotten Red

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CajunPunk, Sep 18, 2006.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

dudes, it is just an approve/disapprove thing.

its like if you give me a new cola, and ask me to taste it, and if i say i dont like it, you shouldnt force me to brew up my own damn cola or spend time explaing what i do not like. i just dont like it. there is no need to analyze my cola-making skills. there was a place for me to indicate my approval or disapproval of your product, and i did. if i feel like explaining, i will. if not, i do not see why that is your concern.

why do i need to have my opinion analyzed simply because i didnt like your post?

anonymity is good because it allows people to grade posts without people giving them red back based on pettiness and not actual post content. without anonymity, a poster would always get red for merely expressing his opinion about other posts he did not like. red is for content of posts only, not retribution.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I was willing to give anonymous rep a try. martin's idea was that it would eiminate retaliatory rep and make giving reputation more honest. Sounded OK on the surface.

But just after a few weeks I can already tell that I hate it. Anonymous rep has removed all inhibitions from those angry persons with a need to lash out. They go around giving red X's to members they dislike. Worse, they red everybody on a thread just to make some kind of point that only they can understand. They like it anonymous because they hate getting negative rep back for being a troublemaker. Now it appears we have people who get a red X and then retaliate to everyone on the thread, just to be sure.

I think this is nonsense and inhibits people from even posting. Negative rep was intended to discourage a few flamers, whiners, and troublemakers, not to annoy any member one simply disagrees with. We all voted 75% in favor of keeping the rep system and Brett promised to explore some the suggestions made, such as martin's anonynous rep suggestions and changing the weighting factors. So I'm happy that Brett is tweaking the system to make it best for us. Let's try it a while.

But in my opinion, for reputation to have any meaning, a person has to stand behind his word.

3. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

[​IMG]

Ahh... my experiment worked. Just look at how it grows...

Thanks for the good one, whoever that was...

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

now that red is anonymous i definitely get more, but that is ok. i think more feedback is good, positive or negative. if people hate what i say, i would rather know than not know.

i think the point is that for whatever reason, they disapprove.

i dont think it should annoy anyone to get red. it simply means that some person out there doesnt happen to like what you are saying. thats fine with me, i am just happy anyone read what i said.

but i definitely agree that brett is a smooth operator and i like that he tweaks things and listens to feedback.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

But I didn't ask for whether you like my post or not. And this isn't just some street corner, it is a place for discussion. This anonymous "redding" is not conducive to good conversation with multiple perspectives, and that is why we are here.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

well i guess it is unfortunate for you that people are allowed to express opinions about your opinions, if you would rather not hear it, you can just not look at it.

i disagree. i dont think anyone is discouraged from any perspective for fear of negative feedback. some of the people with the most polarizing views have the most positive feedback. like red55 and sabanfan. of course that is also a function of post quantity. but maybe allowing anonymous red will sort of depress that effect in the future.

again, i just dont see why feedback of any kind could ever be a negative.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I want them to express their opinions about my posts. But when all they have to do is give red to express opinions, it takes away the necessity of conversation in order to do so - thus taking away from the constructive conversation of the board.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I see people still treasure their precious pixels....

9. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Who you is????
    What kind of english is that?

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

you are assuming they left the red dot as a substitute for actual conversation, which i think is baseless assumption. maybe they left the red when otherwise no feedback would have been given, or maybe they have a wonderful opposition opinion which they expressed in addition to the red.