Power ranking of Coaches

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Flyntgr, Dec 13, 2009.

1. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Saban, highly prejudicial , which is the beginning of any good poll.

Paterno, He ain't gone yet, I respect his body of work.

Bowden, same theme as above, Respect your elders.

Meyers, but I am keeping my eye on his latest, adjustments.

Miles, I know, but I 'm coming to tailgate in BR next year.:)

2. BP

BP Founding Member

Alright, let’s look at coaches and how well they’ve done for the last two years. (I don’t know why it’s limited to just the past two years, as opposed to the last five, but I’ll go with your criteria.)

Four teams (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, ‘Ol Miss) have better SEC records, so for the sake of argument, I’ll put all four coaches as being better than Miles.
    Big East Conference – the former Cincinnati coach appears to have a good job, though he was only there for three years, so the argument could be made that he was winning with his predecessor’s players. Maybe Pittsburg, maybe Virginia Tech.

That’s six.

ACC- other than Georgia Tech, who Miles beat soundly only two years ago (and out coached him, too) who else is there. Miami’s coach has potential, but he certainly hasn’t proven himself. Not Bowden, cause we’re only taking the last two years. Wake Forest’s coach probably would be the only other one.

That’s eight.

Big Twelve – Stoops? Give me a break. Only one that you could argue should be on the list is Brown. But, he has underachieved at least as bad as Miles and made just as boneheaded a call in the championship game as Miles did at ‘Ol Miss. But, for the sake of argument we’ll put him on the list.

That’s nine.

Big Ten – Ohio State? Penn State? I could argue against both of these, but again for the sake of argument, I’ll give you these two. Who else is there? No one that I can think of.

That’s 11.

Pac 10 - USC? Carrol has lost just as many games that he shouldn’t have as has Miles. But, let’s go with him. Anybody else? Don’t think so.

That’s 12.

Let’s throw in Boise State, Utah and TCU.

That’s 15.

Whom else could you even consider? What other major college coach has done better than Miles. Except for Boise, I don’t think you could put in mid-majors because there have been too many examples of coaches doing great at the lower level and not making it in the Bigs.
    I don’t think all 14 of these guys are better coaches than Miles. My only point is, if you look at records, Miles is at least in the top 16.

If you think othr coaches are better, please tell me whom, their record for the last two years and why you think it's better.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

tedford, groh, gill, neuheisel? are you talking coordinators or head coaches?

i think you can make a reasonable case for petrino, gundy, and brooks.

there are i think 9 other current coaches with natl titles and several others who have done very well with much less, so depending on your criteria, i think its easy to put him out of the top 15 but crazy to put him out of the top 25.

4. BP

BP Founding Member

As I understand it, the criteria was head coaches for the last two years.

5. tuckerman

tuckerman Veteran Member

It's Rivals.com power rankings for coaches. CLM started out in the pre-season at #16, and dropped out of the top 25 by the end of the season. You can check it out on a weekly basis.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

that same list i think had Gary Crowton as high as #3 at one point in the season i think.

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Which is retarded in it's own right, since the last two seasons are the only two sub-par seasons in Miles' 5 years here... to be fair you have to go back 5 years, but then he'd surpass Carroll, Tressell, Stoops, Brown and everyone else with the exception of maybe Meyers. Now it seems Miles is #2 on that list... geez, now it all makes sense. Closet Bama fans you'll never learn, tsk, tsk. :dis:

8. BP

BP Founding Member

I understand your post and agree with it. However, I don't think a 9-3 season should ever be considered sub-par. In fact, as I analyze the conference, that should reflect an "average" season for us.

9. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Exactly.

The real reason, BP, is because Miles didn't win any championships this year, and now some fans want the "next best thing".

10. SaintSlidell

SaintSlidell How bout them Tigers! Who Dat

Why?

He blew the Ole Miss game.

We had trouble with Georgia, some would say outcoached. Some would even say we were extremely lucky to win that game.

Could not make any kind of adjustment against Florida.....Hello the option does not work!!!!

The Arkansas game was the luckiest ending I have ever seen. In overtime when we know that Arkansas has the best redzone offense in the SEC....what do we do? WE RUN IT UP THE MIDDLE the first two plays. Are you kidding me? Especially given the fact that we can not RUN THE BALL UP THE MIDDLE........ He played for a field goal. What an idiot!

He is not one of the top 25 coaches this year....PERIOD!