practice report #2

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tiger777, Aug 8, 2006.

1. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

just a season ticket holder/TAF member calling it like i see it...

plus, who's got time for coaching? i'm busy working on a cure for the common cold...

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't see that any excuses need to be made for Les Miles at all. Les Miles is ahead of Nick at this point in their respective LSU careers. How many games did Nick lose in his first year? Four? Did Nick make it to the SECCG in his first year? Did Nick get his first two games moved because of hurricanes and lack any open dates after that? Did Nick demolish a top-10 team in his first bowl game? And Nick worked out pretty damned well.

Everybody agrees that it takes 3 or 4 years to really evaluate a coach. Everybody agrees that Les Miles still has some things to prove. Everybody has an opinion on Miles future here. And some get a charge out of pointing out that our coach was not perfect! I hope they enjoy the soapbox if that is their bag.

But I'm damn well not going to criticise him until and unless he actually screws up a season. I'll take 11-2 and a West Division Championship and smile. After the 2007 season . . . then we can judge Les. Until then, 11-2 buys the guy some respect from me.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Crawfish,

our defensive players were not buying into the defensive scheme. With young guys filling in for dehydrated starters etc, they started resorting to old tendencies & not playing in the position Pellini wanted. With the circumstances, Pellini did the best he could to try to stop the offenses. After the Tennessee game, things turned around. There's no reason to complain about it now.

Skip wanted the cotton bowl, Les had some connections there. Skip requested he come along. He went as a backup plan. He knew our injury situation & how tired the team was, and knew the possability definitely existed for us to lose. Big deal, get over it.

It was his first season, he has shown more emotion as he's gone along. Watch the "Let 'er rip!" video. It was a problem to start, but not anymore. End of discussion.

4. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

I think Miles did a decent job last year. I just couldn't believe the TENN game..

Red55, Saban was handed the keys to a Yugo and Miles was handed the keys to a Porsche...

DiNardo left the program in shambles (2-9), Did Saban do the same?

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.... It's still TBD if Les Miles is the next Mike Archer or the next Nick Saban.

He's done a good job recruiting. I just hope we get a few more guys eligible. We don't need any DiNardo type classes..

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

score, I get the impression that if you were sitting on a beach and Liz Hurley walked by in a string bikini you'd complain about her toe nail polish. Miles can continue to do exactly what he has been doing if he finished 11-2, 12-2, 13-1, etc. and I'll be pleased. Some guys just love dweliing on the negatives.

6. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

While I agree there is no reason to complain now, because the end result is what mattered, this is not why our defense was horrible the first two games.

There was no problem with the players buying into the system. The system did not fit the players. Pelini recognized it and made changes. That is what good coaches do, and that is why I completely respect the guy.

He tried to play way to much zone and way to far off the ball instead of letting our guys use their speed to play defense. Go back and watch the first two games. We got picked apart on the short stuff because our corners were 15 yards off the line and nobody was getting to the QB.

That all changed when he let them get closer and bump heads and man up.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

My impression was that he was using the zone because the players did not know their assignments well yet, but it was probably a mix of both.

8. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

toe nail polish?:lol:

maybe you, that would be the last thing on my mind..:angryfire

wait, it depends.... are we talking about purple and gold nail polish?

9. TXTigahFan

TXTigahFan Founding Member

Can 06 start pleasssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee so we don't have to rehash 05. Kickoff can not get here soon enough!!!

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

agreed...