Practice Report from LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I remember when Todd Kinchen was in Sports Illustrated's Faces in the Crowd section for being All State in 5 sports. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Track and Tennis. All in the same school year at Trafton Academy

cajdav1, StaceyO and LSUDad like this.
  2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I believe Jennings will do much better in believing what he sees and get rid of the ball on time. To me that was the biggest difference Cam had with Mett a he held onto the ball way to long on many plays his first year as starter. The turn around guys second year was remarkable.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Brandon Harris, Anthony Jennings in heated battle for LSU’s starting QB spot
    [​IMG]Brad Crawford[​IMG]

August 12, 2014 @ 10:08am
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    LSU has an intriguing quarterback battle on its hands.

The good news for offensive coordinator Cam Cameron is that he feels comfortable plugging in either candidate, sophomore Anthony Jennings or freshman Brandon Harris, if the season started this week.

“I would say this confidently,” Cameron said at Tigers Media Day on Sunday, “We’re going to have more than one quality starter at LSU.”

Les Miles will have the ultimate say in who wins the competition, but Jennings, who started the Tigers’ bowl win last season and led a game-winning drive against Arkansas, and Harris, a five-star dual threat, each possess a commendable work ethic and have performed well in practice.

“My job is to make this decision as tough on Les as possible,” Cameron said. “What do you mean by that? Well, we’ve got two guys that we feel confident we can win with — if not three, if not four. We’re not coaching one guy more than the other hoping he’s the guy.”

Thought to be the leader to replace Zach Mettenberger in Cameron’s attack, Jennings took a back seat to Harris in the spring game after the rookie launched a couple bombs with three touchdown passes and had 77 yards rushing after escaping pressure outside the pocket.

Jennings threw for 157 yards and a score, but had two interceptions returned for touchdowns.

“Both guys are pretty good,” Miles said Sunday. “We’d like to think they’d continue to improve and be well beyond where they are today. Both guys are talented enough to be our quarterback.”

Harris spoke for the first time with reporters at LSU’s Media Day and couldn’t pinpoint who he believes has out-performed the other at the position.

“Honestly, I couldn’t tell you. He’s a guy who can run just like I can run. He’s a guy who can throw just like I can throw,” Harris said. “I don’t know anything that may separate us from each other. I’m taller, he’s shorter. I don’t know. I couldn’t give you a reason.”

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

On one of the college football shows (might have Luginbill on ESPN), the analyst said Harris has the most naturally talented arm since Matthew Stafford.

That's high praise.

5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

LSU has 'productive' first scrimmage
    August, 13, 2014
    Aug 13
    3:00
    PM ET
    By David Ching | ESPN.com
    BATON ROUGE, La. -- Les Miles didn’t offer many specifics about LSU’s first preseason scrimmage on Wednesday -- particularly about which quarterbacks completed the two touchdown passes -- but the Tigers’ coach described the 26-play scrimmage as “pretty productive.”

Miles confirmed that freshmen Leonard Fournette and Malachi Dupre are both dealing with injuries, adding that tailback Fournette ran a handful of times in “thud” drills (not full contact) and that he should participate in a greater role in Saturday’s full scrimmage.

“He really could have been involved today, but [with] a little bruise, we decided not to,” Miles said.

[​IMG]
    Derick E. Hingle/USA TODAY SportsCoach Les Miles said that QBs Anthony Jennings, left, and Brandon Harris are both grasping LSU's offense.
    He made similar comments about wide receiver Dupre, who already missed a couple of practice days with an undisclosed injury.

“He’s really nicked and on the heal and they don’t think it’s anything major in any way, but we’ve just got to continue to treat and get him going,” Miles said.

He didn’t say which quarterbacks threw the passes, but Miles did reveal that Avery Peterson and Travin Dural caught touchdowns in the scrimmage.

Speaking generally, he said that quarterback contenders Anthony Jennings and Brandon Harris are in command of the offense most of the time. The rest remains a work in progress.

“They’re young, they’re both engaged in leadership and want to have command of the offense -- and they do for the most part,” Miles said. “They don’t know what command is. They don’t necessarily understand exactly what has to be communicated to make this thing go easy. They’re learning.

“I’d say 70 percent of today was just very, very well done and 30 percent’s probably not enough for anybody that sits in the stands to even notice. And yet that 30 percent we expect from our quarterbacks.”

Miles said defensive tackle Quentin Thomas -- initially thought to be lost for the season with a torn bicep -- worked in individual drills on Wednesday and might still play this season.

“Today he went through individual and moved and used his hands. It’s one of those things when you have a big old arm and you get it nicked, you can’t quite tell what it is and what it isn’t initially. Frankly he’s as fortunate as he could be.”

Miles added that the Tigers’ occupational therapist, “looked at it and he says there’s absolutely no reason to do anything else than rehabilitate and let him play.”

Thomas’ versatility: One of the primary benefits of LSU’s “Mustang” defense is that it’s difficult to tell which rushers will attack the line of scrimmage on any given play. So perhaps it fits that one of the Tigers’ key players in that package is Dwayne Thomas, since you never know where he might play.

Thomas said he has learned the duties of every position in the secondary, joining Jalen Mills as the only Tiger defensive backs who can do that.

“Corner, safety, nickel and dime -- I pretty much know the entire defense,” Thomas said. “Wherever Coach [Corey] Raymond needs me, I just go fill in. It’s a great opportunity to do that. Being able to be in the mix of any position is good for the next level.”

More on LSU

Thomas said he added safety to his repertoire since the end of last season, having worked at the position throughout spring practice.

“Once I got safety down pat, that was like the last position I had to learn for the entire defense,” Thomas said. “I had already been doing nickel and dime and corner. After the spring passed, getting all the safety reps down pat was just fantastic.”

But it’s that Mustang role where Thomas might make the biggest impact. Because of his speed off the edge -- aided by his ability to jump the snap count, work with assistant coach Brick Haley on the finer points of pass rushing and film study of former Mustang standouts Tyrann Mathieu and Ron Brooks -- Thomas could be even more valuable in that role this season.

“Dwayne really gives us what we’re looking for at that position. He does a great job there,” defensive coordinator John Chavis said when asked about who will play the rushing positions in the Mustang. “Jalen Mills has played a lot at that position. I’m not ready to say anything other than we expect Thomas to be one of those guys.”

Kick returners: Dural said one factor will probably determine who eventually wins LSU’s kickoff and punt return jobs.

“We’re battling every day to see who’s going to drop the ball first,” Dural chuckled.

Dural listed a half-dozen candidates who are contending for the return jobs when they catch balls before and after practice each day.

“It’s just me, Tre White, Leonard, Jamal [Adams], Malachi, Trey Quinn. We’re all back there battling for a spot,” Dural said. “Everybody wants to be that dynamic player. Everybody wants to be the kickoff guy or [punt].”

LSU had one of the nation’s best return men last year in Odell Beckham, who entered the NFL draft after winning the Paul Hornung Award as college football’s most versatile player. Dural said it won’t be easy to replace the explosive Beckham, but he believes the Tigers have plenty of promising candidates.

“It’s hard to replace someone like that, but we have a lot of guys who have the ability to make those plays,” Dural said. “Tre White, he’s a guy that can return punts and return kickoffs as well as Leonard. Leonard’s back there returning both of them. So as the season goes on, whoever that guy may be, you’ll start to see him make those types of plays that Odell did.”

6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I already had Harris penciled in as the starter, but it looks as if this truly has become a QB battle. Still think Harris comes away with it though.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Well well well, if Mr. AWOL hasn't shown his prodigal face? What up homie?

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Yeah man. I just moved into the city, started a new job (career change), got promoted, and have been off for the past week to take my son to a football camp before school starts. I've been very busy. I'll be back on alot more as soon as things settle down a bit.

Hope you are good, homie. Oh, and welcome to the ranks of being a staff member. It's SO much different than not being a staff member (not really) lol.

StaceyO and shane0911 like this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Lol I ain't reading too much into it. Like @red55 said, it's only cause I ran my keyboard. I don't mind though, if that is what it takes to get the RT back I will take one for the team. It's a lot better than drawing the short straw when there is a group of hotties + 1. I have been here for a grip though so I know how things work. Waiting on @BRETT to make it official and I can get to work.

Kal-El012 likes this.
  10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

a lexus. then got it stolen from kinkos a week or so later (left it running)

LSUDad likes this.