Praise for Ridley

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sugarlsu, Oct 3, 2010.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

True, this is where giving J Lee other play time MIGHT have helped,,,,, Might...

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

That is well said and I need to apologise and take back what I said after week one. Ridley has been a monster. I wouldn't trade him for Ingram.

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Since I railed on players and coaches after the Vols game I guess I better offer some praise.

Good thread amidst all the other meltdown threads, which are well deserved IMO.

But yes I like Ridley. I think he is a mix of Hester and Addai. Good power and quickness and keeps the legs driving. All 3 of these guys fought for yards while at LSU. Ridley also had awesome jump cut on the edge late in the game while waiting on a block.

I would also say that the O-line gave him much more opportunities to get some yards than they have in the previous games. So kudos to those work horses as well.

4. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Lee threw the ball to the inside instead of giving Ridley the only chance to get it. Over the left shoulder and it would have been Touchdown or incomplete. You can only develop that touch if your playing.

5. tboy

tboy Founding Member

No, he is not. Hester proved himself and was a better overall player, caught several passes, some long ones down the sidelines, etc. and was an excellent blocker. He wouldn't be able to play FB in the NFL if he wasn't a good blocker and complete player. However, for LSU's sake I hope Ridley develops into a better player than either of them.
    Why do they keep taking him out of the game? Is he too winded to stay in on a long drive after a few good runs or is it coaching stupidity? I told my wife when they tripped up Murphy by the ankle when he broke through a huge hole that Ridley would have scored. No way he would have went down from that finger touch, but the coaches feel a need to play Murphy who hurt us on that occasion and then had a big loss on a fumble.

6. roynav

roynav free your mind

His winning TD was one for the ages. No way he should have scored. Line did a poor job of creating a hole but he got the ball in on his strength and will. Fabulous effort.

I can't resist pointing out the number of LSU "fans" calling for him to be benched after the fumble vs NC in the first game, demanding Ford be played etc. Oh yea? Well IN YOUR FACES.

I suppose like any team with a large following, LSU has it share of fair, enthusiastic, loyal fans versus dumbass fans pulled in by the decade of success and that will turn on the players and program in a split second.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I was saying yesterday that he's our hardest runner since Broussard. Alley had more break-away speed, though. If Ridley were just a touch faster, he'd have a couple of home runs every game.

8. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Other than the fumble against UNC, he's been rock solid. I can't recall him fumbling ever since. He's been carrying the offense and seems to always find a way into the endzone from the goal line.

9. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

Steven Ridley and Reuben Randle are the only two offensive skill players that are playing worth a damn.

10. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

They are. I think Shepard is very good, Crowton just doesn't seem to be able to get him the ball in spots where he can take advantage of it. We get him the ball going laterally way out on the edge or heading that way, and he has to find a way to turn it upfield. Folks are keyed on him and he has not been able to turn it up. We need to try and get him the ball about 5 or 10 yards downfield on the run.

The DeAngelo Peterson fumble with him stretching the ball out was unfortunate, and poor ball security on his part. I see a bunch of college players do that, not many in the NFL. A little coaching needed there, but I bet he has learned HIS lesson, won't see that again.

Toliver is playing well when he gets the ball from Lee.

I think your assessment is too harsh, there are other offensive ball players doing well, including the o-line unit, which has improved since the UNC game.