Preason rankings already? LSU #11

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JoeReckless, Feb 7, 2005.

1. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=1986233

Is this a little early to have pre-season rankings?

1. USC Trojans
    Why: The Trojans were the landslide choice a month ago -- and that was before Matt Leinart stunned everyone by announcing he's staying on campus. Now it's simply not a fair fight for the rest of the nation.
    Why not: The only reasons to bet against USC are the fact that nobody has won three straight wire-service national titles, and offensive mastermind Norm Chow might bolt for the NFL.

2. Texas Longhorns
    Why: Vince Young will be back behind a veteran offensive line, and we all know how well the Longhorns have recruited in recent years.
    Why not: Losing star linebacker Derrick Johnson and running back Cedric Benson will hurt, and Oklahoma is still on the schedule.

3. Michigan Wolverines
    Why: Chad Henne, Michael Hart and Steve Breaston make a pretty awesome skill-position trio to build around.
    Why not: Wide receiver Braylon Edwards made Henne look good on many occasions, and the Wolverines face a major rebuilding job in the secondary.

4. Tennessee Vols
    Why: Three proven quarterbacks return, plus plenty of additional experience after all the possible early-entry candidates decided to stay. And for once, the Volunteers have post-bowl momentum.
    Why not: In their last four SEC games of 2004, the Vols gave up an average of 32.8 points and 467 yards offense. That needs to improve before facing Urban Meyer, Mark Richt, Steve Spurrier, et.al. in '05.

5. Iowa Hawkeyes
    Why: Almost the entire offense is back, and Kirk Ferentz has firmly established himself as one of the nation's elite coaches.
    Why not: The Hawkeyes must do some rebuilding on the defensive front seven.
    ..............................................................................................
    11. LSU Tigers
    Why: This team is littered with prep All-Americans, many of whom got valuable experience in a "rebuilding" 9-3 season. And signing prep superstud Ryan Perrilloux only makes the quarterback position that much more intriguing.
    Why not: After losing Nick Saban, it's hard not to think LSU settled for Les with Miles.

2. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

#11 seems pretty high to me...But there is nothing wrong with earning our respect again.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Am I the only one who thinks that Miles ISN'T THAT bad of a hire?

I read all of these "settle for Les with Miles" comments from these "talking heads" that claim to know so much about college football, yet all Miles has done in the month is put together a current staff that has most of us TIger fans pretty satisfied with (Moffitt, Jimbo, Larry Porter, et al), keep the commitments Saban had from jumping ship, and bring home one of the biggest recruiting "fish" in the nation, in Ryan Perrilloux and next is the debate on if he'll name Campo or Pellini as his DC--solid selections there as well.

I tell you, let everyone keep doubting Miles. Let him get ticked off at constantly being over-looked. Because there will come a time when we "line 'em up" to kickoff the season, and Miles will have an abundance of bulletin board material to use to motivate not only the players, but us fans as well.

KICK THEIR A$$E$, Miles!!!

4. PGTiger

PGTiger Founding Member

No

5. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

I feel that he is a great hire as well, but what has he really done. We have to remember that we are going to be biased towards whoever our coach is...and we have to remember that LSU isn't a media favorite. I am very pleased with the hire and he will get us back to the NC game. :geauxtige

6. PGTiger

PGTiger Founding Member

Not if we would of gotten Dinardo back... :yelwink2:

7. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

well...that would be an exception.

8. PGTiger

PGTiger Founding Member

haha, did anyone else see the video of him on cstv talking about Ryan Perrilloux. Gah, almost made me sick! :eek: :lol:

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually we did settle it seems. LSU, coming off a NC, is a top 5 job and Skip said we would be shocked at all the big names interested. Then we end up with a coach most here had never heard of.

As far as name recognition, I think LSU deserved a more proven name but since Nick screwed us with the late departure, there wasn't as select a list to choose from.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Thank you Boston!!! That Les with Miles was a cheap shot. I hope Miles flies in under rader and kicks a$$!!