Preason rankings already? LSU #11

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JoeReckless, Feb 7, 2005.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

who knows? but based on how much the candidate won, it is a bad hire. look at it in the light of other coaches that were hired---you'd have to say meyer and spurrier would have been better in name. and we werent able to get more winning coaches like petrino, tedford, ferentz. but who cares? saban wasnt a flashy hire with tons of wins.

2. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

It all happend at the wrong time. If Saban was more clear on his intentions, we would have gotten a great shot at Spurrier and Meyer. We never had a shot at ferentz. Petrino is supposed to be a good recruiter but ended up with like the 56th best class?!?! Tedford would have been a good hire, but he wasn't that interested. With what was left we got a great hire. Great motivator and can recruit. Between him and Jimbo we should have a great offense. We basically have 2 head coaches on offense. Jimbo could have easily left to become a head coach somewhere. Our season will depend on who we hire as DC. This is the most important hire. When we lost Sabanwe really lost a DC. The real hire is with the DC. :geauxtige

3. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Boston, I'm with you 110%+ about hiring Miles.

Pat Forde put that column out the first week in January and just tweeked it to include recruiting. Forde was a writer in Louisville and tends to be a UK/UL apologist, but he knows his basketball. His football comments over the years reflect the Bluegrass State knowledge of the sport; what ever the fashion of the day is, it has to be good. He was ga-ga over Hal Mumme, just for reference.

I wrote Bertman Christmas night asking him to hire Miles. At the Citrus Bowl all the weeping, begging, and moaning over Spurrier, Petrino, Shanahan, Del Rio, et al came from the same folks who wanted to hire Pat Sullivan in 1995 and Mack "Got No Titles" Brown in 1999. Skip hired the BEST coach for the job.

Les Miles was the only choice to build on Saban's foundation. If people followed college football outside the JP SEC Game of the Week and watched Oklahoma State over the years, they would see we stole a great one. OSU had no business hanging around with OU last season, but coaching allowed the chance for a tying field goal on the last play. The last time Nebraska hit Stillwater was the one of last nails for Frank Stolich because they could not stop the OSU running game. Miles did not have the defensive horses to stop anyone during his years there. OSU football has been outscore 'em because we can not out recruit 'em. Miles took a program that was historically renegade and cleaned it up. We have the real deal in this guy.

Now as for those rankings, how Tennessee and Florida can be ranked ahead of us escapes me. Tennesse was pretty poor in November; certainly it can not all be related to their blow out of Big XII mediocrity king texas a$m? Florida? Is this based on their win over FSU? Ranked behind Louisville? Texas? Did they discover a passing attack? LSU opens up 6-0, and we will, and suddenly Mr. Forde will be re-writing his "settle for Les" garbage as "Meyer? How Urbane"!

Miles will also take their wife, dog, and lawnmower. We are in for a nice, long run of National Title shots.

4. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

LSU has again hired away a successful and active headcoach from another BCS school. It worked out fine last time and it's something no other SEC school has done recently. It was my perception that Les Miles was better known just before his hiring than Saban was before his hiring.

5. TN Tiger

TN Tiger Founding Member

HE IS OUR COACH, THEREFORE IT WAS A GREAT HIRE! The more I see him the better I like him. Let 'er Rip!!:helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal:

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Yea, on the surface it looks like we settled. And maybe we did.

But to this point, Coach Miles is batting about 1.000 as far as I can tell. Good coordinators, great recruiting, and getting RP was the icing on the cake.

LET 'ER RIP and we'll show those suckers what a good hire this was!

7. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

This poll is a crock...

Not that some of these teams won't be good, but that some of these teams are not even close to being serious competition.

Florida and Pittsburgh will be very lucky to be top 25 by the end of the 2005 season.

8. clair

clair Rockets

The fact that Zona St. is on there kinda worries me!

We got them in week 2, and that could darn well be our toughest challenge all year:

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I disagree: 16. Georgia Bulldogs

Very fair and accurate ranking of Georgia, don't you think?

10. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

I think so, if you factor in the loss of David Greene, David Pollack etc... then you look at Danny Ware (seems like an injury prone back which are prevalent now a days) I actually think its a little high.