Predict the next LSU verbal game

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by EyeoftheTiger 2015, Apr 20, 2015.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

How is that any different than a commit who is listed and does the exact same thing? Commits to the coaches is all that matters...Not the info recruiting sites stumble upon. Many or all the sites also listed the Leo Lewis silent verbal to LSU.

2. EyeoftheTiger 2015

EyeoftheTiger 2015 Senior Member

I consider it significantly different. I assume you have heard of the reports of guys committing to multiple programs at the same time "in private" according to recruiting services' info. If a guy goes public, at least he is serious enough to single out 1 program at the time. I disagree completely with your last few sentences. Of course "all that matters" is their signature on NSD. Even that is becoming more suspect by the year. Guess you saw where D Lumpkin the TX DL who SIGNED with Texas in February. Now, he says he will not be attending Texas. Don't believe it is academics but he simply changed his mind. So not only are verbals not binding, apparently signed LOI aren't worth much either...even if the guy is qualified.

On the Leo Lewis deal, I never saw one single site of the 4 major ones list him as an LSU commitment...not Rivals, not Scouts, not 24/7, not ESPN. Predictions are not the same as being listed as a commitment. Which brings up one more point. I don't count an LSU commit until MULTIPLE sites list the guy. For example, in the 2015 class, I can't remember the names, but 2 or 3 prospects were listed as "verbals" to LSU by Rivals. None of the other sites listed those guys and sure enough less than 24 hours later, Rivals backed off and took their names off the commit list. And nnnnoooo, Leo Lewis was not one of them. These happened months before NSD but Rivals still had egg on their face.

3. bhelmLSU

A majority of the commitments any school receives are known by the coaching staff before any listing or report happens. Just the name of the game. It is up to the prospect himself to release the information when he wants to recruiting sites. You could say at least 90% of the current LSU roster was committed significantly before the prospect was listed on a recruiting site. That doesn't say anything positive or negative about the prospect. Some guys just don't answer their phone or want to be interviewed or have attention taken away from their own HS season, etc...

Leo Lewis was all over 247 and discussed by your boy from Nola. It was a hot topic at all sites. Again listing on the recruiting sites are for the fans. Has nothing to do with the board that college football recruiting staffs have. No way around that.

Now if a guy goes public...that doesn't tell me much either as we have seen. We all know too many stories about those. There are some guys that are serious but you listed examples above about how that seriousness doesn't mean too much either.

If a staff gets a commitment public or private it is all the same in their eyes on how the rest of the recruiting process will be handled. But it is different in the fans eyes doesn't hold much water.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  4. EyeoftheTiger 2015

I'm not sure I agree with the coaches knowing the prospect's decision well before the announcement. Dozens and dozens of times just for LSU commits, I have read the prospects saying "I called Coach Miles yesterday and he was thrilled that I was committing to LSU". Are all those players lying? Is Coach Miles acting since according to you, he already knew? I don't think so. Once again, feel free to believe in the "double secret commitment". That IMO is a laughable urban legend. Time and time again, the HS coaches of the players are surprised by decisions. Chidi Valentine-Okeke in the 2015 class...a perfect example. His HS coach was shocked he picked LSU and said so, but he said he had no advance warning about who he was going to pick. You keep bringing up Leo Lewis for some reason since he supports MY point. He was never ever listed as an LSU commit by ANY recruiting site. If you are claiming otherwise, you are 100% wrong and this is history. But yet you said, and I believe you BTW, that Lewis told LSU coaches he was going to sign with LSU just 2 or 3 days before NSD. That is why once again for the 3rd time that you claiming someone supposedly gave LSU a commitment the same weekend before A Williams is insignificant....100% irrelevant. If he hasn't said it publicly, only you and a few others would call that a commitment. Show me the guy's name (Anthony or Fulton I assume by you responding to that message) on any commitment list for LSU.

Bottom line....there is HUGE difference between a public commitment and one given to a coach in private. There is only one public commitment made at a time. It has been proven time and time again that guys can give multiple commitments to programs in private at the same time. The most I have ever heard about is 3 but I bet 2 programs is very, very common. For one thing, it holds a place for him in multiple programs if he hasn't really quite made the final decision yet.

5. bhelmLSU

The information I am giving you comes straight from the coaches and the guys who run the recruiting sites and radio shows.

I get it... you are a fan and love the drama of listing commitments and taking them off, etc... But the reality isn't black and white as you proclaim.

The players are not lying (Well sometimes they are)...But remember they are kids and they talk to the coaches multiple times a week and coaches request the players to get in contact with them before making it public. I am sure you have seen many examples with LSU where a kid and his father claim they are committed and the sites list it and keep them listed most of the year when LSU and other programs never accepted their commitment. This is an important request by the staffs because they can give other prospects they are targeting at the same position a heads up before reading it gets on recruiting sites. Also helps prevent guys who think they can commit at anytime a chance to save face before getting egg on their face and then blaming the program for the embarrassment. We have seen that one too many times here at LSU.

So to be clear...You think a kid committing to a position coach or a head coach is a urban legend? But it only counts when us fans hear about it on an ''official'' recruiting site? WTF LMAO

High school coaches is not a good example in the age of handlers etc...Chidi gave LSU over a weeks notice he was coming to LSU. Thanks good example... Really funny story with Grimes on that one too. Chidi made him sweat on NSD and Grimes wore it on his sleeve all day at the Athletic Department for all to see.

I brought up Lewis because you did. And you are proving my point...He was never listed but openly discussed on all sites before NSD (take the time to read the premium boards and stay away from the star ratings and commit list, that is where the real info is)

Again...Public vs Private means nothing to the LSU coaching staff. That is for the fans to conjure up speculation and come up with conspiracy theories etc....The fans usually know nothing about a recruit and his personality, etc but the coaches do because they have constant contact with them. The staff has to recruit as if no one is committed at all times and if they don't then a public or private commitment still doesn't matter.

You picked Fulton and I said he already verbally committed to the staff earlier in the weekend...

didit, red55 and ParadiseiNC like this.
  6. EyeoftheTiger 2015

First, you are misunderstanding me if you claim I think it is black and white. I am saying the OPPOSITE of that. I'm saying that the coaches have a feeling about which way kids are leaning but time and time again, it shows most of the time they do not know. I repeat, unless the kids are lying and the coaches are lying, the late call before a public commit seems to be when the coaches really feel relieved. If it was "black and white", those conversations would be anti-climatic. I have never seen your example where the sites keep a commitment on the list where the coaches have not accepted it. In fact, that RB from TX Alief a couple of years ago...he stated on Twitter that he had committed to LSU. The sites did NOT put his name down for LSU because they could get 0 confirmation he had a commitable offer. In fact, he did NOT have one from LSU and I believe he ended up at Okie State or some such. I also did NOT say that a kid doesn't commit to coaches first. What I said is an urban legend is the "double secret commitment' which is a joke and I'm shocked you actually believe that. Perhaps you believe in the existence of unicorns also. That has pretty much disappeared now as even a rumor as it was sooooo discredited. That was due to fans hoping to get such and such in the fold and just made up the "secret committal" deal.

BTW, if supposedly in your mind, there are no surprises then why does little Nicky have to trash a couple of long time commits near NSD because he got some unexpected guys. Same with motorcycle Bobby last year at Louisville, and it has happened to LSU a couple of times...paging Eliot Porter. You act like that the coaches are in full control of their board at all times. Hate to tell you but that is Alice in Wonderland stuff. And the reason I know for a fact that is not true is your basic assumption is the kid knows exactly where he wants to go and doesn't change his mind. T Bower changed at the last minute, Harvey Williams supposedly changed at the last minute, Parrish Cox stiffed LSU, J Janzen stiffed LSU, and others have surprised LSU in the other direction. Once again, if Fulton committed to LSU coaches that is great, but thanks but no thanks, until I see a unicorn running around, I will just wait to hear it from him. Still doesn't mean that he will sign with LSU (I think he will for the record), but I want official announcements not some hearsay.

7. bhelmLSU

You are talking yourself in circles now...And watch your tone if you want to stick around.

Explain to me what a double secret commitment is? Are you saying that it is an urban legend that prospects commit to coaches without confirming to recruiting sites? That is so far from reality if that is what you are saying because it happens all the time.

I said the opposite of the coaches having full control of the board. They know there is no control and that is why they treat a commitment public or private as no commitment at all for everyone.

Who said anything about Fulton being a lock to sign? I just told you he told the coaches on his visit that he is committed to us. He has the same likely hood as signing as someone who committed and has been confirmed by recruiting sites anyway you slice it.

I get it...You hate not getting a fancy bow around a commitment and a generic recruiting story documenting the commitment. But all the BS you are spewing when I pass information to this board as I have been for many years seems to offend you. Just telling you like it is and you can either accept it and move on or you can spew more BS and bring it somewhere else. Last warning...

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

So this is good news. I really want Fulton. It's hard to imagine having the haul we had last year, then getting fulton, mullen, greedy, and smith.

TigerTap likes this.
  9. bhelmLSU

Getting someone like Eric Monroe at Safety would be some nice icing on top. Likely still take another top DB as well.

TigerTap likes this.
  10. bhelmLSU

Well he was warned and still talking in circles...Victim card was very predictable

shane0911 and titoabad1 like this.